1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20-700 with only one line in

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ONUOsFan, Oct 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 4, 2007 #1 of 16
    ONUOsFan

ONUOsFan Cool Member

Sep 28, 2007
    I have the HR20 in my bedroom set up with only one line in, so it's only using one tuner (just no good way to get a second line in there) and it hasn't been a problem since I got it installed, but this morning I tried to tune to one of the new HD channels and got a searching for signal message.

After that, no matter what channel I tried to turn to, I just kept getting that message. I finally had to reset the box to get it back, and when it came back up it was on the channel I was on before I tried to change it.

I've never had this problem before, even while flipping around through the new channels yesterday, but I'm wondering if for some reason it tried to change to the second tuner and got stuck?

Anyone heard of this before and/or know if there's a way to keep it from happening again? I'm thinking there has to be a way to lock out the second tuner so it doesn't even try to use it...

I posted this on another forum and haven't seen any answers yet, so I'd try it here, since it happened to me twice yesterday. The second time I was watching something and turned it off. Then when I came back in the room and turned it back on, it was on the 771 message, even though I hadn't changed the channel....

2. Oct 4, 2007 #2 of 16
    funners

funners AllStar

Aug 26, 2007
    well there is no way to "lock it out" it does this itself after a reset with no cable in the second tuner.... did it say sfss in sat 2???? if not then that very likely wasn't the problem... if you're ever wondering try test channels 490 and 491 see what it says being you seem to have had a general sfss problem...... also check trans for the 101 in signal meter... I always run over the first 8 trans to get an average... you want ATLEAST 70 and above and 60 and above on hd sats......if your signal is border line then that could be the issue...poor alignment for the dish...also if possible always try to reset through menus... typical this is very good for software glitches and tuners when they glitch out temporarily..... notice this is VERY TRUE for the r-15

3. Oct 4, 2007 #3 of 16
    Mavrick

Mavrick Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Do you have the BBC connected to tuner 2 even though you dont have a sat line connected to it?

I have read in several places where tuner 2 turns itself on if the BBC was attachted even with no sat signal for the box interpets a false reading because of the BBC if you have it attachted to that tuner try removing it and see what happens.

4. Oct 4, 2007 #4 of 16
    funners

funners AllStar

Aug 26, 2007

ok not the way to ask this but im new here.. how the heck to you post a post?? i can only see how to just reply... the answer is always obvious later lol

5. Oct 4, 2007 #5 of 16
    ONUOsFan

ONUOsFan Cool Member

Sep 28, 2007
    I'll check to see if he put the BBC on - hadn't thought of that... my signal strengths are great (high 80's and 90's), so that's not the problem.

In the test page, it shows like this:
    Tuner 1: SAT, Record
    Tuner 2: SAT

So I think it thinks there is something there on that second tuner - maybe it is the BBC. Thanks for the tips - I'll check tonight and let you know.

Funners... on the main page, there is a button toward the top that says "New Thread."

6. ONUOsFan

ONUOsFan Cool Member

Sep 28, 2007
    OK, this happened again last night while my wife was watching TV in the bedroom...

It's not a signal strength issue, those are great, and there is nothing (not even a BBC) connected to the second tuner input.

To add to the mystery, I ran a system test this morning and for tuner 2 it said "OK, acquired at 75%." 75% for an input with nothing hooked into it? Tuner 1 was 90%.

Any other ideas? I'll probably call and ask for an SWM when they're available, but I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to avoid this problem until then.

7. Redlinetire

Redlinetire Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    I'm only running one tuner on my HR20 and I've only seen this problem once after a reboot. Another reboot fixed it. Never seen it since.

I wonder if you're having intermittent input problems on Tuner 1 and that's causing the box to try Tuner 2? Maybe it's a bad BBC on Tuner 1?

8. tomski35

tomski35 AllStar

Sep 7, 2007
    Is it possible you are recording something on the tuner you have connected and it is switcing to the other tuner when you change the channel and there is no signal bcs there is no line?

9. Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2005
    I haver never had this problem and have the same setup with no BBC connected to tunner 2

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    If you have the BBC disconnected and you do a full unplug and wait, then reboot, and you still have the problem, there may be something going on. It should auto-detect the number of lines.

11. ONUOsFan

ONUOsFan Cool Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Could be... I do have a couple of extra BBC's, maybe I'll try one, although it works fine for days/weeks at a time, so I'm not sure that's what it is....

Nope... I wasn't recording anything at the time I had these problems, but who knows what my wife was doing last night.

12. ONUOsFan

ONUOsFan Cool Member

Sep 28, 2007
    It's never had anything plugged into it from the first day it was installed... but maybe I will try the unplug and wait thing - I've done manual reboots from the menu and they fix the problem for the time being... but maybe something will click into place when I unplug it and do it that way.

13. tomdawg

tomdawg Cool Member

Sep 29, 2007
    Since you are getting a signal on tuner 2, that signal must be coming from someplace. I'd check for a loose tuner 1 connection at or near your receiver that is leaking out the signal. If the connections are tight, it could be a bad BBC. See if you can get them to send out a replacement BBC. It could also be a signal leakage inside the receiver.

14. iheartroscoe

iheartroscoe Mentor

Oct 12, 2006
    I had this exact same problem with an HR20-100 and had it swapped out for an HR20-700. Then, after about a week, I was having the same problem again on the HR20-700. What I finally did was I connected the BBC to tuner 2 and it reset the receiver. After that I haven't had any problems. It seemed like the signal was bleeding through tuner 1 into tuner 2, even though I only had a cable connected to tuner 1. I thought that it might have something to do with how the SWM will work, since you only need one cable connection to get both tuners to work, but I could be mistaken. In any case, the service tech who replaced my receiver couldn't figure out what was wrong and when I told DirecTV technical support about my fix (that I placed a BBC on tuner 2) they told me that shouldn't work. But it did and I'll live with it until the SWM is available. Hope you get it worked out.

15. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    You are not the first to experience this. See this thread. I beginning to think there is an HR20 single wire feed issue that has cropped up since 103(b) went "live," whereby the receiver can swap to the unused tuner and stay there until you re-boot. It probably doesn't effect all HR20's. They really like both lines connected at all times.

16. donshan

donshan Godfather

Jun 18, 2007
    I have a second, new HR20-700 in our bedroom that I just activated on one cable ( both BBCs installed). I ran three cables to the BR to hook up our OTA antenna too, since D* would not do the antenna or attic work. I left the two Belden 3Ghz sat cables coiled by the previously installed 5lnb dish.

While arranging the appointment next week with D* to do the final dish hookup for the second HR20, I asked if it was OK for me to to do a temporary one cable connection and activate it now so we could use it until the installer gets here. I got an OK, and I did a temp ground block connection to a pigtail the previous installer had left on a spare output that was hanging down from the dish and now get all the new HD channels OK on Tuner 1 plus OTA HD channels on both tuners.

We have not had your issue, but have only either just watched 1 sat channel or only used the DVR to record 1 sat channel at night. So it probably never has been asked to switch to Sat tuner 2. It does switch to OTA tuners 1 or 2 just fine and records OTA too.

I could have hooked up both cables, but I want the D* installer to cut the cables to proper length, install the ground block permanently and to tweak the alignment too as part of the job as we are only getting high 70s-low80s on 103(b), but 90s+ on all other sats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.