1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hr20 and Hr21-- time is suddenly an hour off

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by DennyC, Oct 5, 2009.

1. DennyC

DennyC Legend

Dec 24, 2002
    I can't believe I'm the only one having this issue, but I didn't find anything with a search, so maybe I am....

My wife calls to me from the master bedroom last night and wants to know what time it is. Seemed a strange question, since there are about six devices with clocks in there, but turned out she was looking at the Guide and it was showing it was 10:30pm-- and everything else said it was 9:30. I checked the receiver in the living room, same thing. Both of them have our "old" zip code (more on that below) and show us on Mountain Standard Time (correct) and with daylight savings set to Auto (should be irrelevant, see below).

Here are two possible contributing factors, although they may not be related at all:

1. We live in Arizona, so are always on Mountain Standard Time (ie, no daylight savings switchover). If some software engineer forgets that, things can get goofy. If that's the problem, it might be fixed by turning the DST switch from Auto to Off-- how do I do that?

2. We were assigned a new zip code in July (again) and that's caused some problems already, so I guess it's possible that it contributes to this, too. What happens is that some databases don't have the new zip code yet, so if it gets changed too soon (which the Post Office does automatically for a lot of big companies), things get wacky. Example: the PO changed our zip code with the credit card companies already, but the database for some filling stations aren't updated yet, and the result is I can't buy gas-- the pump doesn't recognize the new zip code, but the old one no longer matches the address the credit card company has, so neither one works.

I have no idea whether either one of the above is actually contributing to the Direct TV problem, but thought I'd throw it out there. Anybody have any ideas as to what is happening or how to fix it? Tech support was clueless, they said to just wait a week and see if it corrects itself-- but it may drive my wife nuts before then!

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Sometimes simply resetting the Receiver will solve this.

3. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    Try changing the time zone options in the setup/system setup/display/clock.

4. DennyC

DennyC Legend

Dec 24, 2002
    Ah! The clock settings are under Display, thank you-- the Direct TV tech told me the clock settings weren't user settable, and (silly me), I believed him. I changed the DST setting from AUTO to OFF, and the clock is now correct.