1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20 and off air antenna

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by cuibap, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cuibap

cuibap Legend

Sep 14, 2006
    I just put the Monster 5-1000MHz between the antenna cable and HR20 so I can have one cable goes to HR20 and one goes to the TV. TV works fine with ALL channels. HR20 works with ALL channels EXCEPT PBS 8.1 and 8.2. I live in Houston, TX and I don't know why it doesn't work. It works fine if I DON'T have the splitter. Please advice. Thanks

2. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Try a couple simple things:

1. Bypass the splitter and plug the antenna directly into the HR20 and see if you get your two PBS stations.

If it comes in fine with no splitter, put the splitter back in line and reverse the two leads, i.e., put the one that was previously going to the HR20 on the TV and the one that was on the TV on the HR20.

If this still doesn't work, try varying the length of the line going from the splitter to the HR20...use a double female F connector and any lose patch cables you might have laying around from other components (I always have a few laying around from other installations)

Let me know how these suggestions work out and I will have some more for you if you need more help. (I'm an OTA freak)

3. Narnboy1

Narnboy1 New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Go into the settings menu in the HD Receiver and check the OTA antenna signal strength with the splitter on then off.

Chances are you will see a drop.

If you look on the splitter it will show #.#db, this is to show the decibel loss on each of the taps.

The cure may be a HD compatible signal amplifier.

4. ktabel01

ktabel01 Legend

Aug 19, 2006
    I'm in a similar situation, in that I think for whatever reason the split that I have setup b/w my TV and HR 20, then the internal splint, is too much signal loss for the HR 20 to handle. The TV picks up everything in the situation great though. But the problem is two fold how I look at it. One, CBS cannot be picked up by the HR 20 here in Chicago, and secondly, the HR20 doesn't do PIP, so I have to have the split going to the TV for that to be possible. Really holding out hope that OTA is addressed in some coming updates, because I honestly feel my setup should work in using the HR20 for OTA exclusively, and more importantly, reliably.

5. cuibap

cuibap Legend

Sep 14, 2006
    1. I did this. See my original post. HR20 works fine with ALL channels
    2. I reversed this as well and it didn't work
    3. I don't know what you by varying the length and the female F connector. I don't think the length is the problem since I use even the shorter cable when I use the splitter

I did see a drop from 92-93 to 88-89. The funny thing is even WITHOUT the splitter, the 1st tunner is about 92-93 but the 2nd tunner is about 30% (What's up with that????)

When I use the splitter, the 2nd tunner is 0% and the 1st tunner is about 88-89. I don't understand how this can be happening since these is only ONE cable going in.

6. Igor

Igor Godfather

Jan 3, 2005
    There are various generations of ATSC tuners in the market. Some are more susceptible to multipath than others.

If the issue is some sort of reflection or multipath, use a good quality connector and avoid spliters.

7. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Changing "line length" will change the phase of the signal. This is for an impedance change, over the "75 Ohm", there it is more capacitive or inductive.

The cable is split inside to the two tuners, one of them doesn't have as good a Bit Error Rate as the other.

8. cuibap

cuibap Legend

Sep 14, 2006
    Thanks guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.