1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20 and Slingbox ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by hmss007, Oct 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 4, 2006 #1 of 44
    hmss007

hmss007 AllStar

Aug 12, 2006
    Hey all,

I am thinking about getting one of the new Slingbox AV/Pro boxes so I can watch recordings from my HR20 at work or on my mobile phone. Before investing the cash, I have a few questions I'm hoping someone here can answer.

* The Slingbox takes s-video/component input; I have the HR20 hooked up to my TV using HDMI. Does the HR20 output to s-video/component at the same time it's outputting to HDMI? I'm probably going to use s-video (don't want to pay the $50 for the component video add-on); so how is the resolution handled when HDMI is outputting 1080i/720p widescreen - does the S-Video go into letterbox mode or something?

* I have the HR20 setup to use RF so I can keep it in a closet. Will it still respond to IR commands when in this mode? The Slingbox uses IR Emitters to communicate with the HR20; so I would like to keep the remote in RF mode but allow the Slingbox to do it's thing using IR.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Oct 4, 2006 #2 of 44
    Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    I hooked up my SlingBox to my new HR20 yesterday. It worked fine with the R15 remote settings. Yes the S-video is active all the time, unlike the HR10.

I didn't play with the RF but it seems like I read somewhere that IR is disabled if you turn on RF. Hopefully someone else can answer that part.

3. Oct 4, 2006 #3 of 44
    Lowry666

Lowry666 AllStar

Sep 24, 2006
    Yep, it's either RF or IR.

Lowry

4. Oct 4, 2006 #4 of 44
    hmss007

hmss007 AllStar

Aug 12, 2006
    well crap. that sucks that you can't have both IR & RF going at the same time. kind of a deal breaker for the Slingbox. oh well. :(

5. Oct 4, 2006 #5 of 44
    pcates

pcates DBSTalk Club Member

Sep 20, 2006
    The nice thing about the HR20 is the S-Video is always 480i regardless of what is going on on the HDMI or the Component.
    The bad thing is the RF or IR only, no mixing.

6. Oct 4, 2006 #6 of 44
    gbubar

gbubar Legend

Feb 3, 2004
  7. Oct 4, 2006 #7 of 44
    Chimpo414

Chimpo414 AllStar

Sep 4, 2006
    Sorry, can't answer your remote ? The slingbox rocks.:D Even got their free software for the smartphone. Great pic quality.

8. LarryInAz

LarryInAz Mentor

Feb 8, 2004
    I have an original Slingbox connected to my HR20 and although the remote control does work, it seems to work in very limited way. The numbers for direct tuning are greyed out. I have tried the remotes for R15, H20, HR20, etc etc. They all look and act the same way. :nono:
    I haven't seen anybody else mention the "crippled" Slilngbox remote features and I'm wondering if others are getting the same results? :confused:
    FWIW, I spent an hour on the phone with Slingbox tech support and the CSR had the same results. He tried it on both the Slingbox "classic" and the new Slingbox PRO with the new 1.4 and 1.3 software. The CSR seemed genuinely surprised and said nobody else has complained about it.

I have attached a picture of the remote -

Attached Files:

9. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I picked up one of the new SlingBox A/V models a couple of weeks ago on a Friday night. Hooked it up to my HR20 and checked it out. I returned it on Sunday. What a POS!

My reasons? [I'm sure someone would ask]

- Picture quality sucked. It was VERY pixelated.
    - Whenever you use the remote you lose time on what you are watching. The picture is lagged by a few seconds from the actual HR20, not a problem in itself, but when you go to click on any button on the remote the lag goes away briefly so you wind up losing about 10-15 seconds of what you are watching for each button click, big problem.
    - The streaming is REALLY choppy even when I was at home [1500k average] on my network it was bad, let alone when in a remote location [500k average].

Maybe the Pro is different than the A/V but I'd be willing to bet it isn't.

10. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Hmm. I've got the classic model from a year back. I find it does a very good job of getting the video across, but it is definitely lower quality than even SD, but it is also much better than VCD. The remote is understandably slow to operate, but I've never found it to be 10-15 seconds bad. Overall, I've found the Slingbox handy on a number of traveling occasions because I cannot always pick up the shows that I want to watch (particularly sports).

11. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    I'm using a Slingbox Pro with an HR10-250.

Picture quality on my local network is really quite good, I'm not not seeing any pixellation issues and am getting throughput of 4000 Kbps from the Slingbox connected via a wireless bridge.

I agree that the lags/re-optimization when using the remote control is annoying...but I can live with it given my particular uses for the Slingbox.

12. heath0005

heath0005 New Member

Oct 14, 2006
    I just got both a Slingbox and an HR20 on Wednesday (Christmas came early for me! :) )

Slingbox works like a champ for me. Sure, there's a little pixelation, but for what I use it for, it's fine. I travel quite a bit, and all I needed was a way to watch the NFL live, even if I'm in, say, Barcelona or Rome. Bonus points for giving me access to everything on my DVR and helping me pass the dreary business traveler times stuck in boring hotel rooms.

I agree that the IR vs. RF thing is really annoying. Maybe DirecTV will fix that in a future software update.

13. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    A little? lol

I was trying to watch the Busch race from work when I had the slingbox. The pixelization was so bad that groups of 2 and 3 cars were nothing but a blurred square. Sorry, not worth $180 to me especially when they state the picture is crystal..

And I'm pretty sure it's not a bandwidth issue. At home I have 6mbps DSL and here at work I have multiple OC48's. :)

14. Chimpo414

Chimpo414 AllStar

Sep 4, 2006
    Wow, I have had the original slingbox for almost a year and the picture is great. No pixelation on a fast computer and network. At my job they have a slower network that breaks the picture up. No prob at all.

15. bwaldron

Oct 24, 2005
    The key for remote viewing is the upload bandwidth, not download.

Even with 512 up, I get a quite acceptable picture for remote viewing (though I mainly use the box on my internal network, where it's great).

16. bwaldron

Oct 24, 2005
    More important for remote viewing is the upload bandwidth for the Slingbox, not download.

Even with 512 up, I get a quite acceptable picture for remote viewing (though I mainly use the box on my internal network, where it's great).

17. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    I have 512 up with the DSL 6.0, still looks like crap...

18. Marty B

Marty B Legend

Sep 21, 2006
    Chimpo, you have the coolest avatar!:righton:

19. dragonheartck

dragonheartck Cool Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Has anyone used a slingbox with the HR20? And if so how did it work?

Thanks

20. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    There is already one thread on this here: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=66247

I've use the Slingbox classic and have found that it works better with the HR20 than it did with my SAT-T60 (Standard Def DirecTV Tivo)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.