1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20 and Wireless gaming adapter..HELP!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by urfast1, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. urfast1

urfast1 Mentor

Oct 4, 2007
    I hope I don't sound too ignorant here, but I can not get my HR20 connected to the internet. It sees my network but that's it. I've reset everything, tried the advanced config screen and entered IP address, subnet, gateway, etc. Is it looking for the info from my wireless router (WRT54G) or the info from the gaming adapter (WGA54G) from when you set it up on the computer beforehand? I've read about every post on here before asking this. If I get connected, does it do the rest on it's own as far as DOD or what else is required? Thnaks in advance guys, you are all great help!

2. opelap

opelap Legend

Nov 4, 2006
    Need more info to help you out. Did you set up the gaming adapter with your computer to connect to your router i.e. SSID, encryption, etc?

If so, when you connect to the HR20, can you see the HR20 on your router?

Does the connect check on the HR20 fail?

There is nothing else you have to do if your internet connection is working to get DOD. It will eventually show up.

3. urfast1

urfast1 Mentor

Oct 4, 2007
    Yes, I set up the adapter first with the correct SSID and encryption. I then connect it to the HR20 and try to connect. It sees my network but internet connection fails.

4. cravingsunshine

cravingsunshine Cool Member

Sep 2, 2007
    I had the same issue and it turned out to be my firewall software. I had Norton firewall and could not connect to the internet from my HR20. I read a post somewhere that recommended switching back to Windows firewall and sure enough, I was able to connect.

5. urfast1

urfast1 Mentor

Oct 4, 2007
    I have all firewalls turned off.

6. cravingsunshine

cravingsunshine Cool Member

Sep 2, 2007
    What is your router's ip address? What is the ip address for your HR20 settings?

7. gcisko

gcisko I am Iron Man!

Sep 27, 2006
    After you configured the adapter with your PC, you should disconnect the adapter and plug your router back into your PC. Then open a web browser and go to 192.168.1.250. If you read all the posts here you surely set it up for static IP :D

If you cannot connect to the game adapter with a web page after you set it up, do not even try to connect it to your HR2x.

Have you at least gotten this far? If the adapter is at the HR20 already, just unplug the network cable going to the HR20 and cycle the power on the game adapter. Then try connecting with the web page with the network cable not plugged into the HR20.

8. urfast1

urfast1 Mentor

Oct 4, 2007
    Here's what I have so far:
    I used the config settings from the game adapter :IP address of 192.168.1.250, Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0, Default Gateway 192.168.1.1, and then the DNS from my wireless router. I plugged these numbers into the advanced settings on the HR20 setup and it connected. Is this right? I used static IP, not DHCP on the gaming adapter. If it stays connected will the HR20 do the rest from there for DOD?

9. smilller

smilller AllStar

Aug 26, 2007
    I had the same type of problem over and over as even though I got it connected, it would loose connection in 24 hours or so. So I went to this Linksys site:

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_CASupport_C1&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1166859678292&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=7829277881B04

and downloaded the Easy Link. For some reason it took it 2 days for it to sort out the problem once I ran it. The first day, it seems it doesn't gather all the information it needs. But like I say, over the course of a day or two it did and I haven't lost connection yet.

10. smilller

smilller AllStar

Aug 26, 2007
    Also, a Linksys adviser I talked to on the phone had me set the MTU on my router to manual and keep decreasing the size by units of 20 until I had stability.
    (MTU setting is on the basic set up page for your router not the game adapter.)

11. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    You should use a different IP address for the DVR than is used on the game adapter. Each device on your network should have its own address (DHCP will take care of this for you).

12. urfast1

urfast1 Mentor

Oct 4, 2007
    OK, I can now see my HR20 in "My Network" on my computer but it isn't available to add to sharing so I can use the music and photos option. I can't ping the address of the HR20 and the gaming adapter. I've connected the HR20 to the internet for DOD but I can't get the PC to connect for sharing. Any ideas?

13. gcisko

gcisko I am Iron Man!

Sep 27, 2006
    On the HR20 the DNS and Gateway shou;ld both the the router IP. In this case 192,168.1.250. Once I did this it connected to the internet like magic.

Were you able to open a web browser to the game adapter after you configured it on the PC?

14. gcisko

gcisko I am Iron Man!

Sep 27, 2006
    I can't ping mine either when it is connected to the HR20 and working.

To do media sharing, you need to make an exception in your Windows firewall. Also after connecting to the network I had to reset the HR20 to ge tmedia sharing going. After the HR20 boots up. Shutdown your windows firewall temporarily and start media sharing with WMP11 and you should the the HR20 even if it is an unknown device. It will still work.

15. gcisko

gcisko I am Iron Man!

Sep 27, 2006
    You mean in the network setup for the HR20? I used the same 192.168.1.250 and it works.

16. urfast1

urfast1 Mentor

Oct 4, 2007
    Thanks gcisko, I got it going. Using the IP address of the router is what I need to do and the reset of the HR20 alloweed me to see it in WMP for file sharing for music and photos as well. DOD is pretty cool! Thanks again.

17. gcisko

gcisko I am Iron Man!

Sep 27, 2006
    No problem. Glad you got it going!

Did you have to mess with the Windows firewall?

18. urfast1

urfast1 Mentor

Oct 4, 2007
    I haven't ever used Windows Firewall so that wasn't an issue.

19. IndyTom

IndyTom Cool Member

Dec 8, 2006
    I will be buying a bridge soon for my HR20. For clarification, is it recommended to avoid using the firewall on the router and use the Windows one?

20. bbroach

bbroach AllStar

Sep 17, 2006
    A good hardware firewall is better than any software. Make sure your router/firewall does SPI (stateful packet inspection) as well as NAT (network address translation), and protects against common forms of attack, such as DOS (denial of service). The Netgear RP614 is a solid choice for not much $.

For a bridge, I use two Linksys WAP54Gs in bridge mode. Be aware that the Linksys " Secure Easy Setup" doesn't support bridge mode; you have to set up both boxes for bridging within their URL based managers while each is wired into your LAN.

regards, billb....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.