1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20 Annoyance

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Sean31, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 2, 2007 #1 of 26
    Sean31

Sean31 New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    I usually watch previously recorded programs on the HR20. An annoying 'feature' is really starting to bug me.

When I am done watching a program, it brings me back to the list of recorded programs. Often is the case that one or two programs are being recorded when I finish and it shows me one of the programs in the preview window on the playlist screen. Several times now, I have overheard spoilers from the end of the program while being in the list screen. I am trying to get in the habit of immediately hitting mute after deleting a program, but that is a pain.

Any way to disable this feature? Thanks.

2. Aug 2, 2007 #2 of 26
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    No, there is no way to disable the PIG/PIL

3. Aug 2, 2007 #3 of 26
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
  4. Aug 2, 2007 #4 of 26
    bto4wd

bto4wd Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Apr 17, 2007
    This has bothered me since my HR20s were installed.

5. Aug 2, 2007 #5 of 26
    ToddinVA

ToddinVA Godfather

Mar 5, 2006
    I just got my HR20, but I know this is going to annoy the hell out of me during sporting events!

6. Aug 2, 2007 #6 of 26
    mtnagel

mtnagel Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2006
    Not a great solution, but if you know it's going to happen, you can mute your tv or press pause and that will pause the preview screen. I do it during football season.

7. Aug 3, 2007 #7 of 26
    arnolddeleon

arnolddeleon Mentor

Dec 7, 2006
    It's quite annoying. The one work around that I've developed is to "pause" on a recorded show. This avoids the "spoiler" problem as long as the unit is not powered off. Unfortunately if you turn the HR20 "off" it will turn back on to a live preview channel.

As others have mentioned, the first I do if I'm coming to a box that is off and I want to watch a show is recording is to press pause and then list. I try to not look at the preview and I look for the show I want to watch in the list.

arnold

8. Aug 3, 2007 #8 of 26
    cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    I'm a big fan if the PIG, but "the leader in sports television" should really figure out a way to spoiler proof the PIL.

9. Aug 3, 2007 #9 of 26
    mtnagel

mtnagel Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2006
    I'm a big fan here, but I'd obviously have no problem with an option that allows you to turn it off (even if it just went to black instead trying change everything).

10. jonaswan2

jonaswan2 Icon

Oct 29, 2005
    Wouldn't you still hear stuff, and isn't that the OPs real problem.

11. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I must be one of the few that like this feature as it is. When I view a recorded sports program, I always check the outcome first, so I can determine whether I want to invest the time into watching the game or not. If it's a loss (NFL) for my desired team and I'm still interested in the "flow" of the game, I go to the 30 minute full game/no commercial/no huddle replay. I can watch 3 or more full games in replay in the time it takes to watch a recorded game at normal speed, even when skipping commercials.

On the other hand, if my team wins, I can spend all sorts of time on the game (as it feels "worthwhile") in HD with replays, slow mo, etc..

Obviously, this won't work if one is entertaining a group of people...but I find I'm either watching the game live with a group, or if alone, I can decide how much time I want to put into a "win" or a "loss"

Since I don't suffer from the "spoiled surprise" syndrome, this procedure works out nicely for me. It is especially helpful for "da Bears"...nothing makes me slip into "viewer's regret" more than spending two hours on a Bears game, only to discover that Rex has put us in the toilet (again). :)

12. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    And, to me, knowing the outcome of the game causes me to not watch it at all. In fact, in the past when I had to work on Sundays, everyone knew not to tell me the status or outcome of Bears games. My joy was to go home and turn on the Tivo and watch the game.

I guess that's why there's both vanilla and chocolate. Personally, if I could disable the preview screen it would be gone in a second.

13. mtnagel

mtnagel Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2006
    I meant black as in no picture or audio.

14. mtnagel

mtnagel Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2006
    Definitely no offense meant, but that must be weirdest way I've heard to watch a game.

I'm just like MartyS, I can't watch a game if I know the outcome to. When I have two games on that are on the same time that I care about, I record both. I'd prefer to watch one straight through and then the other, but getting spoiled is too likely, so I go so far as to put post its on the screen where the score is so that I can't see the score to the other game I care about.

Different strokes I guess.

15. krock918316

krock918316 Hall Of Fame

Mar 5, 2007
    +1

16. psychobabbler

psychobabbler Legend

Sep 16, 2006
    Hadn't ever thought about Post its. Genius. I'm with you though. I go out of the way to avoid knowing the outcomes of games, to the point I start out all my conversations with others, "don't tell me what happened!" Obviously, I just say this when there's a game on (or recently completed), not all the times.;)

17. mtnagel

mtnagel Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2006
    The post it's are great because they are low tack. I used to use electrical tape on my tube tv, but I was afraid to put that on my new LCD RP TV.

And just to add to the tip, you need to either use a few or add something else to the post it because you can still see the score through one post it. I use a piece of electrical tape on the post it. I was able to keep using the same ones all season. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but I pay a lot of money for ST just to watch one team, so I don't want to be spoiled while watching the local team.

18. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Maybe we can get our avatar to show up in the pig instead?

19. bto4wd

Apr 17, 2007
    But it's not just sports.

Seems the networks like to group all "good" shows together. So I tend to have 2 shows recording while watching a recorded show. I don't want to know who was kicked off Top Chef, or what's happening on any other show I'm recording until I watch that show.

20. bto4wd

Apr 17, 2007
    As long as yours doesn't pop up on mine. That would scare the b-jesus out of any kids in the room at the time. :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.