1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20 "Back" verus "< Select"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mitchbart, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mitchbart

mitchbart Cool Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Hi,

As a Long time TIVO user, I am still "learning" the HR20 Interface. I still prefer the "TIVO/Direct TV Central" menu concept.

I still have an issue with the fact that using the "< Select" button does not exit the Menu and you have to use the "Back" button.

The "<Select button" should act like a back in all the menu cascades and exit the Menu when the main "Menu" is on the screen.

Am I missing something? Is there any reason for the "Back" button? The TIVO Interface doesn't have one! TIVO just used the "<Select" in the proper context.

Thanks.

2. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Use the "EXIT" button...

3. mitchbart

mitchbart Cool Member

Aug 1, 2007
    My point is that the "<Select" button should accomplish this action in the proper context, of course I can use the "back" or "exit" buttons - but I like controling the interface from the "Select" buttons. It's what TIVO taught me!

4. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    But "select" is supposed to select an option, not exit a menu usless you "select" exit.

5. mitchbart

mitchbart Cool Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Sorry, I'm not referring to the"select" button itself but to the "<" to the left of the"Select" button.

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I understand what you're saying. Different pieces of equipment do things differently. If you would like, you can ask that the option you're talking about be put on the HR20 Wish List - visit the Information Resources subforum for more details.

7. ajwillys

ajwillys Godfather

Jun 14, 2006
    I agree, I still use the left arrow all the time trying to get 'back' one menu screen.

8. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    The left arrow on Tivo is a mixed use button. It does back under certain context and does left under others.

On the HR20, the left arrow is just that, left arrow. And back is ALWAYS back. Not under certain context but all contexts.

It is a choice they made and it is just that way. I can see why they did it...people are used to a back button in web browsers and this works much the same way.

The left arrow on Tivo has limited back functionalilty. Once it gets to the central page, it tends to lose its use. And when in a pointing situation (like using the alphabet pad), it loses its back-ness. Back on the HR20 works as back all the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.