1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20 did a spontanious reboot..no reason..no update..?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jksellman, Nov 25, 2012.

1. jksellman

jksellman Legend

Mar 22, 2007
    My HR20 did a spontanious reboot today (no update occurred).
    It appears to be working fine right now.
    Nothing in the system has changed to cause the reboot.
    Internal temp is 113 F.
    I have a 2TB HDD attached....Like I said, all seems OK at this point.
    SHOULD I BE CONCERNED?????

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I'd turn off the front lights, so you'll know if it reboots again when you aren't there. One reboot I wouldn't be concerned, but if it keeps happening, that would be an issue.

To turn off the lights, on a non interactive channel, press and hold the left button on the front of the DVR, then press right to cycle rough the brightness settings. It can't be via remote, has to be the front panel.

3. jksellman

jksellman Legend

Mar 22, 2007
    That's how I know what happened.
    Thanks....

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Do you have it plugged into a UPS ? If not I would do that.
    I had 3 receivers that were doing that and bought a UPS for each location. No resets since and that is about 2 months now.

5. RBTO

RBTO Legend

Apr 11, 2009
    I have an HR20 and have seen it reboot overnight when there was no update download, but never during the day. One thing that can cause a reboot is the power cable. Sometimes the plug on the back of the unit can work its way out and barely make contact, and vibration or whatever will jiggle it just so and ....reboot. Pays to check it once in a while. As said, one reboot - no worry.

6. drh

drh Cool Member

Jan 11, 2008
    Happened to my hr20 several times in the last few days. I called dtv and they knew of no software issues that may be causing the reboot; had the same problem last week on a directv TiVo DVR and it WAS a software update issue. I have a 2 tab esata attached to the hr20, too. I pulled the esata 2 tb drive and ran spinrite on it. It was just Re-attached to the hr20 3 hours ago, I have yet to see if this fixed it or just what the problem is.

Have you run the "run system test" in the info & test sub-menu? Mine showed HD error, that's why I ran spinrite on it.

Dan

7. jksellman

jksellman Legend

Mar 22, 2007
    The HR20 and the esata 2TB HDD are both connected to a UPS.
    The power cord IS firmly attached.
    The system test only showed the lack of a phone connection.
    I did notice the fan on the HR20 is noticably quieter now and the temp.
    is holding at 111 F.
    I hope it was a nothing event...