1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20 - DLNA Certification Campaign

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Spanky_Partain, Aug 18, 2007.

Do you want the HR20 and other networked D* equipment DLNA certified?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

80.1%
  3. Don't Care, everything seems ok the way it is

1.8%
  4. Don't Care, I do not use the media share

18.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 18, 2007 #1 of 100
    Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Directv Please Certify the HR20-XXX to DLNA Standards!

I encourage EVERYONE to support this! It will make a standard certification for all media share equipment in our homes. We certainly want everything to play together! This will give us a common standard to look for when we are buying equipment. It will also enable users that are having problems with equipment that is certified, a path for "demand to comply" when issues are found.

A lot of BIG industry leaders are jumping into this certification. That means that ALL equipment meeting this standard will be shared between each other like networked storage, DVR media share software, media stored on PC's, etc....

Please make the HR20 a DLNA certified product!
    http://www.dlna.org/

IMPORTANT NOTICE!

Right now, there are two classes of DLNA CERTIFIED™ devices: Digital Media Servers (DMS) and Digital Media Players (DMP). Player devices (DMP) can find and play or display the content that is shared on your network by server devices (DMS). Some examples of DMP products are TV monitors, stereo systems, home theaters, printers, personal digital assistants, multimedia mobile phones, wireless monitors and game consoles.

Server devices (DMS) can record and store media content, and share this on the network - where this is allowed by content protection rules. Some examples of DMS products are advanced set-top boxes, digital video recorders, PCs and laptops, stereo and home theaters with hard disk drives (for example, music servers), broadcast tuners, video and imaging capture devices such as cameras and camcorders, and multimedia mobile phones.

But the DLNA guidelines are very flexible. Some devices offer rich user interfaces and some do not. With some server devices you can also manage your media collection or manage other devices on the network. Some server devices can also be player devices: a laptop can share, but also play its content.

These tests take approximately 6 hours to run on a DMP device. Every time a firmware/software change is made in the area that affects the DLNA structure, certification is required to be run again. This is a cost both monetarily and time. Both are evil words to a project/product.

The reason why I feel like this is important is because as the home network grows and gets more devices, refrigerator, washing machine, dryer, phone, alarm systems, home video monitoring systems, etc the more important the DLNA will become. Asking Directv to look into this is a step for in home compatibility on the network. DLNA provides the guidelines for this environment. Directv has also felt the need to look into the DLNA as a measurement or they would not be a member. It costs money to be a DLNA member and a lot of companies are joining the effort.

Do I expect Directv to DLNA certify the HR20 today?
    NO, the HR20 media share is still in beta, they even post that claim.

Do I expect Directv to become DLNA certified?
    I would like to see them make the effort and at least have them make a statement that the product is DLNA compliant. This would imply to me that D* ran the tests and they passed using DLNA test scripts but have not gone to the expense of sending the HR20 to the DLNA test lab. It is NOT to late for them to become certified with the network. The media share environment that is shipped today is "beta".

What Do I need/want from you?
    Read the site information. Become informed on the network inside your home. That is YOUR domain, and can be named <your domain>, to manage, use, and secure. I encourage you to support the Poll and ask Directv to continue an effort on DLNA certification as a final step for the network environment that is being implemented.

Please ask questions and I will try to get you the answers. I do have complete access to the DLNA website. Some things I cannot copy and give out.

Don't vote on the Poll until you are informed!

2. Aug 18, 2007 #2 of 100
    houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    So what exactly does this mean? what other equipment is certified?

3. Aug 18, 2007 #3 of 100
    Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006
    More and more new consumer electronic devices, PCs and mobile handsets are starting to follow the DLNA guidelines for sharing multimedia. Although these advanced devices already have Wi-Fi™, Bluetooth®, HDTV, and so on built in; installing and sharing multimedia content among these devices can still be difficult. With DLNA devices it becomes easy to share music photos and videos anywhere in your home.

You will need a home network to start enjoying the benefits of DLNA. From there you have a lot of freedom and opportunity, including connecting to existing TVs and other legacy entertainment devices. The basic building blocks you need are digital media servers for acquiring and storing your digital media content and digital media players for playback and rendering.

Imagine a DLNA certified terabyte of storage plugged directly into the network and it is not dependent on anything except the network that your PC's access and download movies, music, and pictures to and even use it to back up your important data on your PC. Now you plug in your HR20 that is DLNA certified and it is networked. Taadaa, instant access to a terabyte of space.

HP, Sony, Prioneer are some of the TV media players that are on the market today. These will be higher end TV's and will cost a little more. If the HR20 is certified, then they will be compelled to play with the DMS, digital media servers, under certain guidelines and the DMP, digital media players, like the HR20 and it would not be necessary for a person to buy the more expensive TV if they have a compliant HR20.

Check out the link, this is a win-win thing.
    DLAN Members link, DIRECTV is a member!
    http://www.dlna.org/en/industry/about/roster

4. Aug 18, 2007 #4 of 100
    tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Isn't it already certified using Viiv or is this something different?

5. Aug 18, 2007 #5 of 100
    Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006
    Viiv™ is an Intel® Hardware/Software only solution. PCs based on Intel® Viiv™ technology are built with Intel's high performance dual-core processors, chipsets, networking silicon, and special software.

Viiv is not what I would call an industry standard for PC's. I would have to say it is a little biased.

6. Aug 18, 2007 #6 of 100
    Richi

Richi Mentor

Sep 13, 2006
    The only thing that I WANT TO BE CERTIFIED IS SCAN OTA!!!. Then knock yourselfs out with all other certifications as you wish. Keep it simple!!!!!

7. Aug 18, 2007 #7 of 100
    Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    I'd be happier if they were ISO 9000, 90001 and 90003.

But, sure any properly operating interoperability is a plus.

8. Aug 18, 2007 #8 of 100
    jmschnur

jmschnur Icon

Aug 30, 2006
    This is clearly the thing to do. Doing so will greatly enahnce the utilility of media share.

9. Aug 18, 2007 #9 of 100
    jaywdetroit

jaywdetroit Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    FYI --

For those of you who may have been watching the HP Media Vault thread, this information pertains to it.

You see, the HP Media Vault is a DLNA certified device. It runs a software media server out of the box.

The reason that the MediaVault's software server does not work with the HR20, is because the HR20 is not a DLNA certified device.

So if you would like the ability to go to the store and buy a large storage device that stores all your media, and play it back on the HR20, you should probably get behind this campaign to make the HR20 DLNA certified.

To all you HR20 insiders... Any idea what kind of challenge or politics D* would be faced with in taking on this endeavor?

10. Aug 18, 2007 #10 of 100
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    The more standards are met, the more longevity to the hardware as well.

Count me in as a supporter.

11. Aug 18, 2007 #11 of 100
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    The original post has been edited; I put in a poll at the user's request. Moderating is fun!

12. Aug 19, 2007 #12 of 100
    Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006
    Everyone needs to look at this and put a vote in.

This is VERY important to get D* to make a product that is easy to hook up and use in the home networking environment.

Thank you kind moderator...

13. Aug 19, 2007 #13 of 100
    tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Certification would surely help non-Viiv systems. I'm for it.

14. Aug 19, 2007 #14 of 100
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Thanks Spanky. Folks, let's try and keep this thread geared towards DLNA certification.

15. Aug 19, 2007 #15 of 100
    bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Certified, shmertified. Just make it work with as many servers as possible.

16. Aug 19, 2007 #16 of 100
    bluemoon737

bluemoon737 Godfather

Feb 20, 2007
    Portsmouth, NH
    And just how much will it cost D* to get the HR20 dlna certified? Yet another expense to pass along to the consumer to help "make things easier"? There are numerous "standards" that have been created to make things easier for the consumer but in many cases they fall well short of the promised goal.

I'm not saying this is a bad idea, but just asking the question. (BTW, I voted that I have no problems after fixing the Buffalo bridge firmware issue so I see no need for the certification).

17. Aug 19, 2007 #17 of 100
    SoCool

SoCool Godfather

Feb 16, 2007
    South West...
    How much will this certification increase the cost of the equipment? And if it does increase, do you think it will be passed along to the consumer? Seems like a great idea though.

18. Aug 19, 2007 #18 of 100
    Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006
    Cost? Good question! I will try to find out Monday during business hours. However, DIRECTV is already a member, so some cost can already be presumed.
    http://www.dlna.org/en/industry/about/roster

Cost passed on to consumer? That is always the price of doing business. It would be foolish to state otherwise. When you speak of passing cost to the consumer, you must also keep in mind the thousands of units being leased for one year and the, sometimes reported initial cost, $299 fee for the equipment. To spread the cost out is nominal compared to the cost savings in support/warranty costs when things work the first time. I can speak with some authority that networking is one of the most difficult things for users to get going since it is not always a simple plug-n-play event.

19. Aug 19, 2007 #19 of 100
    machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    [​IMG]
    Glad to see someone else wants this done. We Mac addicts have been pushing for DLNA/UPnP certification since media sharing was turned on. Elgato's EyeConnect is DLNA/UPnP certified and was not working for audio until recently when there was a new beta released. I asked about DLNA/UPnP certification during the D* media share event but got no reply from the media share team.
    D* is a member of the UPnP Forum as well:http://www.upnp.org/membership/members.asp

20. Aug 19, 2007 #20 of 100
    JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    So is this a hardware or a software issue? If it's a hardware thing, I think that ship has already sailed on the HR20.

I'm not even sure I'll be able to form this question properly to ask it, but D* takes some pretty strong measures security-wise (and I seem to vaguely recall rumblings about the ability to pull programs off of TiVos and the concerns with copyrights etc. - like I said, "vaguely remember") - what effect would this have on D*s security with regard to piracy and/or copyright protection with the programming they broadcast? Would enabling this kind of "open sharing" capability compromise security measures that they are not willing to compromise?

(Keep in mind this question is coming from someone who has not networked any of their receivers and does not utilize media sharing with D* devices or anything else - I have no iPod or any such thing, my music comes from radio or CDs and my television comes from whatever I record on my DVR or DVDs from Netflix - so please be nice with your responses? :))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.