1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20 dying? And AM21 usage on the replacement

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by MrGibbage, Oct 25, 2009.

1. MrGibbage

MrGibbage Mentor

Jul 18, 2007
    I have had an HR20 for over three years. Lately, I have noticed that certain channels (Sat and OTA) have hiccup fades. It seems to be just the locals, and like I said, it doesn't matter if I am on the sat or OTA channel. By "hiccup", I mean the picture freezes for a second, the audio stops, and then it starts up again. Often times associated with massive pixellation, but again this is only for a second or two. Signal strength for all transponders at in the high 80/low 90s. By the way, I am in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia (that's Norfolk/Viginia Beach to you outsiders). My other receiver (an R15) never has this problem. I therefore suspect the receiver may be going out. Anyone else seen problems like this? Can it be fixed, or is it time to "upgrade"?

And I put "upgrade" in quotes because I now see that the newest DVRs don't have the OTA tuners! Whose bright idea was that?!?! So I gotta get the AM21 to have a chance to get my OTA locals, if I want them. Sure, pretty much every channel in this area is available through D*, but I think the PQ is better with OTA. And (in theory) it doesn't fade in the rain as quickly. That's a big deal hear because in the spring and summer, we get some wicked rain. So, tell me... if I get the new HR23 and AM21, is the user experience pretty much the same as what I am used to with the HR20? That is, the OTA channels show up in the guide, I can program the DVR to record off them, recorded shows show up in the same play list, I don't have to connect the AM21 to a separate input on my TV...the whole thing. What, if anything will be different?

2. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    I got my AM21 connected to my HR23 this weekend and find it OTA channels slightly better than what Directv offers. I too have issues with storms in Miami and got it for that reason other than the PQ. Its very easy to setup and doesnt take another power supply. The AM21 will power your HR23. You can program it just like any other channel just simply have to do run the setup so that the OTA locals show up on your Directv guide which i found to be pretty neat. It will connect to your HR23 via USB.

3. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    The AM21 connects to your DVR via the USB port. There is also a power feedthrough (plug the cable from the AM21 into the wall socket and the cable from the DVR into the AM21). Operationally, it is identical to using a HR20 (guide, recording, playlist, etc.)

4. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    Remember, your HR20 is most likely a lease. Being such, it is covered for replacement straight from DirecTV free of charge with only the cost of shipping being attached to your account. They can replace it with any HD DVR including a refurbed HR20, HR21, HR22 or the new HR23. It's the luck of the draw as far as which you will get.

HOWEVER, although an AM 21 is an optional option on HR21's and above, they must give it to you free if you ask seeing that the model you are replacing contained a OTA tuner already.

By contractural obligation, they must replace with a "comparable" model with all the features you already have in place-----which includes OTA reception since you had a HR20.

Check that they do NOT extend your commitment agreement. even if you don't pay for the protection plan, this is still a leased box. By nature (just like the cable company does) they must provie you with an operation equiviilent without extending your contract in order to be able to provide their end of the contract----->which is reception/service.

5. NKy.Yall

NKy.Yall Legend

Apr 8, 2004
    N. Kentucky
    I called D* about HR-20 issues as well and the CSR told me it would be $100 to get a new " leased" unit to replace the " leased" unit that I now have. I guess that would be correct or the CSR was wrong.As soon as I get done moving I will call them back and re-address the question in hope of a differant response.

6. wmj5

wmj5 Godfather

Aug 26, 2007
    if a person has been with D* 14 yrs. and has a new H-23 do you suppose they would give him a free am21? ha!

7. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    the only issue with getting am21 free is you might have to wait until a compatible receiver is activated on the account, so you might be w/o OTA for 3 days or so.

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I know nothing about OTA, but the issues you're talking about probably have nothing to do with your 20-700 and everything to do with the last NR. I doubt if your HDD is going south and the easiest way to check that out is to buy an eSATA from a place that has a liberal return policy. I think you'll see the same problems even with a brand new eSATA. You've got the best HR D* has, everything else is a step or two (or thirty or forty) below the 20-700. I've got six of them and they all have been having the same issues you report since the last NR. There is a new NR rolling out that's supposed to address these issues, you might want to wait for it before you give up the best HR you'll ever have.

Rich

9. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    AFAIK, if you have a failing leased unit replaced they are supposed to replace it for no charge, did they tell you why $100?

10. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Failing leased unit should be replaced for shipping cost unless you have the protection plan.

11. NKy.Yall

NKy.Yall Legend

Apr 8, 2004
    N. Kentucky
    The CSR told me that I did not have D*`s version of an insurance policy.In other words I was not paying extra each month for there service plan or what ever they actually call it.

12. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    As posted before, since the receiver is leased DirecTV should replace it for only the shipping charge, since it is their receiver, but they will hit you with a new 2 year commitment. If you had the protection plan then there would be no charge for anything and no additional commitment.

13. NKy.Yall

NKy.Yall Legend

Apr 8, 2004
    N. Kentucky
    RAD,now you confused me,{sorry it dont take much} if I agree to a "new" 2 year commitment and ask for a replacement all I have to pay are the shipping charges ? If I want a replacement but refuse the 2 years I have to pay $100 because I do not have the protection plan ? The CSR I spoke with never mentioned that part about the 2 year commitment.Just wanted to make sure I understood you correctly.Thanks for your help as well.

14. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    That is not true. There is not suppose to be an additional commitment. the only thing extra the PP provides is no charge for shipping.

15. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    OK, now I'm confused on the commitment, I've seen posts going both ways now, all I know is that they shouldn't be charging $100 for a replacement of a leased receiver.

NJy.yall, I'd try calling again to technical support and see what they say.

16. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I don't know how it actually works today since I havent had to use it, but it seems to make sense that if have a leased box and are still in a commitment without the PP, it should not extend your commitment. If you are out of a commitment period, then they could add another 2 years on for replacing it for shipping only. Seems a fair compromise on how it could work. PP could work the same way except no shipping charges and no commitment extension for those outside of a commitment.

17. MrGibbage

MrGibbage Mentor

Jul 18, 2007
    Rich, are you saying that you have the hiccups only on locals? In my case, I only have hiccups on locals, both OTA and SAT. I have never seen the hiccups on any other channel. And I have never seen this problem on my other SD receiver on ANY channel.

I don't know what part of my receiver is failing. Sure, I guess it could be the HDD, but I didn't mean to imply that was leaning towards. All I know is I only have this problem on my HD receiver, so I would think that would rule out anything with the dish. I suppose it could be a problem with the cable from the dish to the receiver too, and I haven't tried running a separate cable to rule it out. But this just started happen in the last couple of months. And I swear it's getting worse.

18. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    It also provides no charge on site services when something goes wrong, like an antenna needing to be re-aligned, or troubleshooting on the incoming lines.

The Protection plan isn't just for replacing receivers.