1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hr20 Fcc Id?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Ken S, Jul 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    So...just out of curiosity I thought it might be interesting to look up the HR20 in the FCC database.

I looked all over the HR20 and while there is an FCC sticker they don't list an FCC ID for the device? Shouldn't they have one? This isn't an areas of law I specialize in and I wasn't about to call the FCC and start an inquiry :).

So, does the HR20 have an FCC ID? If not...can anyone briefly explain why it wouldn't.

Oh, I looked under Pace Micro as well and while they have an FRN they do not come up as having any IDs associated with their account.

2. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I believe the only time an FCC ID tag is on a product is if it transmits RF. I'm not sure it would be needed although it does broadcast RF for communication with the remote. The RF remotes are labeled.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I don't believe the communication with the remote is two way. So, the remote has a sticker because it's broadcasting. The HR20 receives RF but does not broadcast it.

4. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Thank you. Yes, I've seen that the remotes are labeled. I thought anything that could logically cause RFI had to be licensed...but maybe they just need to be labeled.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    In the HR20 enough components what does RF emittance. HDMI for example.

6. LR308er

LR308er Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Jun 27, 2007
    I was thinking that ethernet adapters and phone modems also required FCC ID's.

7. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007

You are right, it is one way, remote>HR20.

8. MikeR

MikeR Hall Of Fame

Oct 5, 2006
    Confirmation. The remote is considered a Class B digital device.

9. bakers12

bakers12 ΔS > 0

May 29, 2007
    Chicago -...
    Any phone equipment like the built-in modem will have a ringer equivalent number (REN) assigned by the FCC. It's a measure of how much power the device takes from the phone line. Too much draw and your phones may not ring.

10. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    On the white sticker on the bottom near the rear of the box there's a FCC registration number at least on the HR20-700 I have.

11. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    What's the number? That may be their reg number and not a device ID. Different things.

12. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    What I see is US:000MMM03BTDS7Y0ND which on page 58 of the HR20's manual says is the product identifier.

13. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I don't think that's an FCC ID. Look at your RF remote or your microwave to see what an FCC ID is. Essentially they're really radio station call letters.

14. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Yes, that's a product identifier, but not an FCC ID. Two different things. Thank you though for looking.
    If I understand it correctly anything that may cause RFI has to have an FCC label, warning and a unique product identifier. Anything that actually transmits RF must be tested and have an FCC ID.

15. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    That is exactly correct, sir.

16. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Sorry, just going by what the D* manual said, "..On the back of this equipment is a lable that contains a product identifier in the format US:AAAEQ##TXXXX."

Since this is a class B device does it need a FCC ID, like and RF remote, since it's not putting out any RF outside the class B limits?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.