1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hr20 hard drive question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by parenaj22, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. parenaj22

parenaj22 New Member

Jun 17, 2007
    is there any way to use my old hd for my pc. old hard drive meaning i have upgraded from 320 to 500 and i could use the space in my pc im running windows thanks

2. Koz

Koz Icon

Sep 16, 2006
    Sure, if you have an open SATA port. Just plug it in, format it, and off you go.

3. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    My only concern is that unless you have an owned (NOT leased) box, Directv might have something to say about you meddling with the innards of their box. Just my tuppence of course.

4. parenaj22

parenaj22 New Member

Jun 17, 2007
    i have plugged it in and windows will not boot i have also tryed plugging it in after windows boot the hd does not show up anyware then i went to addhardware and it was found buy when i try to add my pc shuts down and wont boot until i unhook the sata what am i doing wrong please help.

5. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Heard some reports that in a PC it is slow to start and therefore doesn't always show up..

6. Koz

Koz Icon

Sep 16, 2006
    Hmm... That's over my head. I just know it's an off the shelf SATA drive and theoretically should work.

7. mikek

mikek Godfather

May 17, 2007
    I doubt you will get it to work. Dont waste your time. I already wasted enough for both of us. The HDD from the HR20-100 needs a spin-up command from the HR20.

You would have to load a new firmware on it and I haven't been able to do that.

The only thing I was able to do was to let the HDD spin up while the sata cable was attached to the HR20. You can then attach it to your computer's sata. You can then access the HDD, but the only way to get it to spin up is to have it attached to the HR20.

I had the power connected to it from a separate source so I was able to keep it spinning while I rebooted the computer. Once it spins up the first time and you keep it going you don't need it attached to an HR20.

If you figure a way around it let me know. I just recently had a thread about this same topic.

-mk

8. flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity New Member

Aug 20, 2007
  9. mikek

mikek Godfather

May 17, 2007
    No jumper settings work. Nothing that I have found can get this HDD to spin-up except an HR20.

10. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    have you tried delayed start in pc bios?

11. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    A quick reminder, it's against your lease agreement to open your case or change out your hard drive. It's also against the rules to try to hack the data on a hard drive you removed from an HR20.

We frown on "hacking" talk here.

12. mikek

mikek Godfather

May 17, 2007
    No. I gave up, but that sounds interesting.

Would the PC give it the same spin-up command as the HR20?

-mk

13. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    don't know.. all I know is I remember seeing that in a bios.. but would assume that it would be a standard.. problably not worth the effort tho.. 300 gig drive is cheap..

14. mikek

mikek Godfather

May 17, 2007
    Yup, you're right. While I was messing with this thing. I was thinking: "Why am I wasting my time with this thing. I could just go buy a new one cheap and forget about it and leave it in this drawer."

Guess I got that disease.

-mk

15. cartrivision

cartrivision Hall Of Fame

Jul 25, 2007
    Re-read the first post. That ship has sailed. The question at hand was if the disk that is no longer in the DVR could be used in a computer.

16. ccr1958

ccr1958 Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    i wonder if this product might work..

http://www.spotmau.com/products/pac...age/full.htm?gclid=CI7Jo7eJmI8CFREDWAodgD8BfQ

"Rescue Hard Disk
    When your hard drive has bad sectors, or cannot be formatted, or even cannot be detected by your computer, our CD can help!

(Hard Disk Tools)

Use it when hard disk is slow

Use it when you have difficulty on installing Windows

Use it when you get message like "no hard disk"

Use it when you cannot format the hard disk

Use it when you want to reinstall a clean Windows

Use it when you want to get hard disk back to factory condition

WOW!

We have rescued above 2500 "dying" hard disks in last 3 years!"

17. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    I read the first post the first time, thanks. Now re-read mine. So long as your box is leased, Directv might want that ship to return to port . . . :lol:

18. dxdenis02

dxdenis02 Cool Member

Oct 18, 2006
    to the OP...there are no jumpers for SATA drives.... for master/slave.... what you need to do is format your drives.... install your SATA drive... do start --> control panel-->performance and maintenance-->admin tools-->computer management-->storage-->disk management... now locate your new drive..right click assign a drive letter and format... and your done...... now if you ever have to return your box to DTV ... reinstall your 320gb back into the hr20 and it will re-formate it and your back to factory stock...

note: always wear an ESD wrist strap grounded to an unpainted surface on the chassis of your PC. ESD straps are available at most computer or electrical supply stores.. in addition use ESD safe tools where practical

-- Avoid carpets in cool, dry areas. Leave PC cards and memory modules in their anti-static packaging until ready to be installed.
    -- Dissipate static electricity before handling any system components (PC cards, memory modules) by touching a grounded metal object, such as the system unit unpainted metal chassis.
    -- Always hold a PC card or memory module by its edges. Avoid touching the contacts and components on the memory module.
    -- Take care when connecting or disconnecting cables. A damaged cable can cause a short in the electrical circuit.
    -- Prevent damage to the connectors by aligning connector pins before you connect the cable. Misaligned connector pins can cause damage to system components at power-on.
    -- When disconnecting a cable, always pull on the cable connector or strain-relief loop, not on the cable itself.

19. ebr

ebr AllStar

Oct 3, 2007
    This whole endeavor is a little silly, IMO, given the price of disc storage these days.

On your "no harm, no foul" comment - well, yeah, maybe until someone not as skilled as you tries it and fries the hard drive (drops it, hits it with a static charge, breaks a pin off trying to force a cable on the wrong way, whatever) or the machine (oops, that screwdriver just slipped...). Now you've destroyed equipment you don't own. I know not many people out here would feel much remorse for that because, well "D* is a big company and, screw them" seems to be the American attitude but...

And, if you insist on deliberately breaking a legal agreement you have with said "big company" you might not want to brag about it in a public forum that is closely watched by the same entity.

Just my opinion.

20. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    +1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.