1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20 HD Audio and Video Not Matching

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Clark143, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clark143

Clark143 Mentor

Mar 18, 2007
    Greetings,

Does everyone have this issue?

I notice when watching a live HD channel (such as a sporting event) that the audio and video don't match up. In some cases it doesn't have to be a live event, but I see/hear this more when it is.

When I watch a regular show in HD like "24" it is usually fine. The audio and video match up.

I have noticed that commercials during the live event are normally off on audio and video as well.

I read in the Tricks and Tips that you can solve this by channeling up and down. This doesn't work for me.

D* tried to play it off on my audio system, but I have tried it with and without my Yamaha receiver and it was the same.

I'm using HDMI cables.

My wife keeps telling me to go back to cable but I refuse! Need help if there are any suggestions out there!

Thanks,

Clark143

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    You'll find a lot of threads here about audio & video synch issues. What channel(s) are you having this problem? If only one or a few channels have this problem, it's almost certainly a problem at their source. If every channel is doing it, that points to a problem a delay issue with your video or audio connections.

3. Clark143

Clark143 Mentor

Mar 18, 2007
    I didn't have this issue when I was using Time Warner with HD.

Like I said above it seems to be live events (no matter the channel) that I have the issues in HD. SD matches fine.

4. John in Georgia

John in Georgia Godfather

Sep 24, 2006
    Clark,

How is audio from the HR20 getting to your Yamaha receiver?

Does your Yamaha have an "audio delay" feature?

Are you using a plasma video display?

I watched boxing on ESPN-HD last night and noticed no lip-sync problems (and I feel certain the studio segments were live).

5. radamo

radamo Legend

Nov 13, 2003
    Just had this occur last night with all HD shows that were on my PLAYLIST. I used the remote to reboot and all was well again...

6. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I witnessed something I thought not possible this past weekend. Was visiting my sister in-law who has an H20. I was watching either HDNet or UHD(don't remember) and the audio sync was way off, a couple of seconds. I changed channels, didn't work but turning it off/on did. I always thought this was inherent to a HDD based machine. FWIW

7. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    There are at least two sources for this problem:

1. The HR20 itself, which the channel change/etc. can take car of. (a bug)

2. Specific Providers: ESPN-HD itself is NOTORIOUS for the problem and that has nothing to do with the HR20

I think ESPN-HD has been the best advertising that Felston ever got. (Felston is a famous producer of digital delay boxes for the consumer)

8. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    ESPNHD has horrible synching

9. Meklos

Meklos Legend in his own mind...

Nov 7, 2006
    For me, this is definitely two issues. First and foremost, it's an HDMI issue 95% of the time here. One display is a Samsung 30" (?) flat tube HDTV, connected via HDMI. All programs - recorded, live, etc. - progressively get worse as the viewing session goes on. Video starts lagging audio by up to a second before I get frustrated and turn the TV off/on.

Secondly, ESPN has some recurring problems where they themselves lose sync, and no amount of twiddling, fiddling, or cursing at them will fix it.

I have a new 65" Mitsubishi DLP coming on Wednesday, and I'm interested to see if it will have the same progressive lag problems as the Samsung. From what I've read, the Samsungs are notorious for this problem.

Anyone know of an update for my beast of a tube TV? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.