1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hr20 help

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by miedwards72, Feb 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miedwards72

miedwards72 AllStar

Feb 23, 2007
    First, How do you turn off or lessen the amount of light coming from the unit? That blue light is annoying. I tried the hold up button down on the unit or something like that but nothing happened. Second, How do you search for a certain genre? On Tivo you could put movie, horror, and then it would show you every horror movie for the next 2 weeks. Can you search just by the genre. Lastly, my SD channels look horrible compared to my old Directv Tivo unit. I have 52in WS Hitachi with Hdmi-DVI connection. I also have tried component. I use the stretched format. It looks like crap on both. My old Tivo unit looked so much better when it filled the whole screen. Has anyone else noticed that ?

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    First, push the left and right arrow on the front of the unit at the same time.

I'll leave the rest to others.

Carl

3. oenophile

oenophile Godfather

Dec 1, 2006
    Northern...
    A bit of clarification: Push and hold the left arrow, then press and release the right arrow. Each time you push the right arrow it will decrease the brightness until it hits zero....repeat to go back.

One question I haven't seen answered: Is there any way to eliminate more of the lights on the front? The power indicator and the recording indicator are annoying if you ask me...

(Mods: Just realized this post should be moved to HR20 forum, no?)

4. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    The only way to turn off any of the other lights, besides the blue ring, is the plug.

Chances are you don't want to do that.

Could use some tape though!

5. djwww98

djwww98 Godfather

Jan 11, 2006
    Yup. Bright indicator lights irritate the heck out of me. There has been at least one little piece of tape on just about every piece of A/V gear I have ever had as well as car dash boards and stereos. You can get pretty creative with an exacto knife, getting it just the right size if you want to block the majority of the light but still want some indication.

6. Blitz68

Blitz68 Hall Of Fame

Apr 19, 2006
  7. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Maybe not, the R15 works the same way.

Carl

8. Ext 721

Ext 721 Icon

Feb 26, 2007
    thin coat of matching acrylic paint (black tan or silver), shaken so bubbles leave transparent dots.

or alternate coats of "dull finish" with "gloss finish"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.