1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20 Install?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ldhays, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ldhays

ldhays AllStar

May 25, 2006
    I'm having an HR20 installed next week and I just found out reading this forum that the multi-switch needs to be upgraded to a Zinwell WB68, is this true and if so why?

2. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    If this is an HD upgrade, including the Slimline dish, it would be included if you require more than four tuners. ( 2 DVR's or 1 DVR + 2 receivers or 4 receivers)

3. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Yes it is true. The reason is that older multiswitches are not compatible with The Ka-band satellites.

4. ldhays

ldhays AllStar

May 25, 2006
    I will have the HR20 and a R15 in my system and that's all! Does this mean the 4 leads from the dish is all I need for two tuners each, no multi-switch?

5. binkatl

binkatl AllStar

Jul 27, 2007
    I am in the same situation, getting ready for an upgrade to a Slimline dish and HR20. I will have the HR20 in the living room, and my current Tivo (HDVR2) will move up to the bedroom. I only have one cable going upstairs, so I'll only use one of the receivers on the HDVR2.

Will I need a WB68 with this setup? BTW sorry for hijacking the thread, hopefully any answers will benefit both of us. I've heard conflicting stories, some people say you need a WB68 only if you have a large number of receivers, but others have said you need the switch no matter what, in order to receive the new MPEG-4 channels coming soon.

6. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Nope. You will not need a multi-switch since the dish has 4 outputs and you only need 4 SAT lines. 2 lines to each receiver. I would try to have the installer drop the 4 lines to the same location where they go into the house just in case down the road you want to add 1 or more receivers all 4 lines are together so you can put a multi-switch in without having to have the wires from the dish rewired.

7. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    As I told the OP since the dish has 4 outputs you will not need a multi-switch since you will only need 3 SAT lines. But I would have the installer drop the 4th line from the dish and have him bring all 4 lines into the house at the same place before they go to the rooms they are going to if possible. This way if you need to add 1 or more receceiver in later you will have the 4 lines from the dish in the sam e location so you can do it with out having to rewire the lines from the dish.

8. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Agreed. Even better if you can somehow create a need for five lines by adding receivers because if you need to put in a multiswitch later they will likely want to charge you.

9. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    Definitely have them put the multiswitch in now along with the 5lnb dish.

Be proactive and avoid potential extra cost down the road.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.