1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20 is great but the FastForw is driving me crazy

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dogger01, Oct 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dogger01

dogger01 AllStar

May 24, 2004
    At first I did not like the new HR20 but now I have become use to it. I like the functionalities of the unit but the Fast Forward on the unit is driving me crazy. I have had no problem with recording shows and using the HDMI output but when I play the shows I recorded there are issues when I fastforward through the comercials. It freezes up every time. I know it is probably all ready been a reported issue but this is the main function off the unit. To be able to fastforward throught the comercial is why I bought and use the unit. I'm sorry I am venting on here but I just needed to get it off my chest other than that I love this unit and all it needs now is OTA and the bugs fixed.

2. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    If this is on MPEG-4/HD Locals, it is a known issue with the last firmware release. They did the release with a warning on this specific problem, but went ahead with it because it fixed an even worse bug, lost or failed recordings, that quite a few people had. Since they know about (and knew when they released the update), you can expect that it will be first on their list to fix in the next release (which given their history of frequent updates, I'd expect next week. You can use the SLIP button to get by the problem...just don't use FF/RW...use the other two buttons.

If it's not on HD-Locals you are having the problem, I don't have a clue, as I don't have the problem.

3. Andrew_J_M

Andrew_J_M Legend

Feb 11, 2005
    Have you tried using the 30 second slip - the key above the FFWD? That always works for me, though it is a bit slower. I normally press that 6 or 8 times when the commercials start then when I see the program restart I hit the 6 sec back button (the one above REW) a couple of times. Not elegant but it works.

4. dervari

dervari Icon

Dec 1, 2005
    I never realized how much I missed my ReplayTV's commercial skip until we watched some shows that I recorded on it due to conflicts. SOOO nice to be able to just lay back in bed and watch stuff without having to FF. Ah well, such is the tradeoff for HD.

5. cookpr

cookpr Godfather

Aug 24, 2006
    Yeah, the FF freeze thing is very annoying....very very annoying...

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I've been using the "30-sec skip/slip" key as a workaround until this bug is fixed.

7. politzer

politzer Legend

Sep 25, 2006
    Litzdog, did you try removing the BBS converters?

I haven't yet, but someone else on the freeze up thread mentioned they had and had no further problems. I'm beginning to think this might be a bigger source of problems than has otherwise been suspected up to this point.

8. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    What would the broadband converters have to with Fast Forwarding thru the commercials of a pre-recorded program ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.