1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20 Keeps turning on by itself

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by cwt137, Dec 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cwt137

cwt137 Cool Member

May 26, 2006
    Hello,

I've had my HR20 since the first month it was available in my area (So Cal). I think it is nice in all but, it keeps on turning on by itself. This has happened ever since I got the box. At first it only happened once in a while, and I thought it was my imagination. For the last few months, it happens at least twice a day. Once while I'm at work and once in the middle of the night. Also, sometimes the box resets itself while I'm watching something. Does anyone have a similar experience?

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It's probably turning itself on because it's rebooting unexpectedly. The first thing I'd do is make sure the power going to it is nice and clean. After that, if you're still having problems I'd call DIRECTV because it should not do that.

3. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Icon

Aug 14, 2006
    Hey Stuart,
    Isn't there some indication somewhere in the setup menu when the last restart of the system was? I'm not at home so I can't check to be sure. But if there is, this is something cwt137 could verify.

Just a thought,
    Bob

4. bakers12

bakers12 ΔS > 0

May 29, 2007
    Chicago -...
    There is a way to get the last software download time and date, but this isn't available for reboots yet (if ever).

5. cwt137

cwt137 Cool Member

May 26, 2006
    I too thought it might be the power. About a month ago, I bought a line conditioner and nothing has changed. I guess its time to call DIRECTV.

6. lowgolfer

lowgolfer AllStar

Dec 8, 2006
    Mine has been doing this also. Power is good, everything else works fine. Just am curious why this is happening.

7. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Heat is always a good suspect - blocked ventilation, malfunctioning fan or malfunctioning heat sensor. Also, could just be a defective unit.

8. ttodd1

ttodd1 AllStar

Oct 28, 2007
    If it were heat I would think it would shut off not turn on/reboot.

9. B Newt

B Newt Icon

Aug 12, 2007
    Maby the remote control is malfuncting. It could be turning the recvr on by itself.

10. Redlinetire

Redlinetire Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    And don't some plasmas (don't know if the OP has one) send out spurious IR signals along the plane of the screen? I wonder if that could be causing it problems.

11. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Easiest way to tell if the system rebooted is to dim or turn off the front circle of light. After a reboot, it always comes back on in full blinding mode.

12. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    Never thought of it as blinding mode. Just me I guess.

I'm pretty sure no one was wondering how to tell if the unit re-booted.

That's probably how the OP is able to tell it re-booted. Turn it off, LEDs all go off, go to bed, go do something else or whatever, come back later and notice the front LEDs are on.

13. gcisko

gcisko I am Iron Man!

Sep 27, 2006
    Are your HR20's networked? Maybe someone broke into your network and figured out how to mess with them...

14. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD

Uh, no. He said it "turns itself on" and also that it reboots while he is watching it. Never said it was rebooting itself when he wasn't watching it. Someone else put that together as a possibility why others are conjecturing on remote control interference turning it on. And others were asking how you tell if it rebooted.

I followed the conversation and told the OP how he can tell if the box rebooted while not watching it.

And it is an old joke about "landing lights" for the circle of light and lots of conversation on dimming them since the HR20 was released.

But thank you for chastisizing me on a perfectly fine post.

:)

15. gcisko

gcisko I am Iron Man!

Sep 27, 2006
    Maybe your cat stepped on the POWER button and turned it on?

16. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Actually I suggested that and it was put on the wish list about a year ago. It was never implemented.

What you can do if you're really clever is use a program like Ethereal to intercept packets from your HR20 to the mothership. In there, in plain text, is the number of hours the system has been up.

17. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    The line conditioner is a UPS? Any dip in AC that you might not even detect will reboot these HR20's.

18. bakers12

bakers12 ΔS > 0

May 29, 2007
    Chicago -...
    I always recommend a UPS for the HR20/21. Mine resets for power shortages so quick that my clocks don't even reset.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.