1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20 Networking hardwired with Vista PC

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by savdom, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. savdom

savdom Mentor

Sep 6, 2006
    Guys,
    I have been trying to network my HR20 on and off for a few days and about 3 hours of time. I have read the document and a lot of threads and I just can’t seem to make it work. Please help.

• Windows Vista with WMP11
    • My laptop is connected to the internet via a wireless connection thru a Netgear router
    • The router is setup with DHCP
    • I am trying it hardwired from the HR20 to my PC. Not a cross over cable. Should I just go buy a wireless router and connect it to the HR20?
    • If I turn off Windows Firewall I can get the HR20 to see my pictures and music on the PC.
    • I can’t get the HR20 to see the internet.
    • I have reset the HR20 a few times and of course rebooted the PC a few times.
    • I did not make any changes to the Advanced Network settings on the HR20

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Welcome to the forum.

So it sounds like you are running a cable from the HR20 to the Laptop, is that the case?

The attached pdf file shows two common ways to hook up a HR20 to the network, one is a hardwire and the other is a wireless.

3. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    The HR20 should be connected to the router, not directly to the PC. I just tested this out yesterday. I ran a network line from my HR20 to my router. My Vista PC was already connected to the router. In WMP 11 I went to Options>Library>Sharing and told it to share with other devices (or some sort of terminology like that). Once I plugged the network cable into the HR20, I ran the network setup and it passed all the tests (including connected to internet) and provided an IP address, gateway, etc. (Note: I have an HR20-100 which has 2 network ports - the bottom port is dead and you need to use the top port. The HR20-700 only has 1 port so no worries there about which one to use.)

All I had to do on my Vista PC was turn off the Norton firewall and then the HR20 showed up on the PC as an unknown device. It asked if I wanted to share with it and I clicked 'Yes.' Then on the HR20 when I hit Menu I had the Music & Photos option.

4. jgrade

jgrade Godfather

Sep 30, 2006
    • Windows Vista with WMP11
    Should work

• My laptop is connected to the internet via a wireless connection thru a Netgear router
    I assume the Netgear is also a Wireless router/switch.

• The router is setup with DHCP
    Try setting the HR-20 with a static IP

• I am trying it hardwired from the HR20 to my PC. Not a cross over cable. Should I just go buy a wireless router and connect it to the HR20?
    The HR-20 cannot connect directly to a wireless router. It must be an Ethernet bridge, like the wireless gaming routers. If you are connecting the HR-20 to the PC directly without a switch or hub then you should use a crossover cable. Also, unless you have internet sharing configured on the PC, the HR-20 will never see the internet with that setup.

• If I turn off Windows Firewall I can get the HR20 to see my pictures and music on the PC.
    So then what's the problem? That is all it can do at this point. Set the HR-20 as a trusted device with the static address.

• I can’t get the HR20 to see the internet.
    You need to connect the HR-20 to the router, not the PC (unless you want to enable internet sharing on the PC). The setup should be, internet appliance (if used), wireless router, then PC and HR-20 connected to different ports on the router.

• I have reset the HR20 a few times and of course rebooted the PC a few times.

• I did not make any changes to the Advanced Network settings on the HR20

5. Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006
    Cross over cables are not required. ALL HR20-xxx models are auto MDI/MDI-X.

Hard wired or wireless are both an option.

Firewall settings may need to be tuned to enable the UPnP devices.

DHCP or Static IP is acceptable.

Edit
    No problem here, jgrade.

6. jgrade

jgrade Godfather

Sep 30, 2006
    Cross over cables are not required. ALL HR20-xxx models are auto MDI/MDI-X.
    Did not know that about the HR-20.

Hard wired or wireless are both an option.
    Not as he described. He would still need a bridge.

Firewall settings may need to be tuned to enable the UPnP devices.
    Or the specific device.

DHCP or Static IP is acceptable.
    Trying to take some of the guess work out of the troubleshooting.

7. savdom

savdom Mentor

Sep 6, 2006
    Thanks guys for the help. I figured it out. I did need to setup the laptop so other PCs can connect to the internet thru the laptop. I thought this before, but couldn't get it to work and here's why. When I shared the wireless connection to allow other devices to connect to the internet thru the laptop the wireless connection would lose access to the internet. So...I had to bridge the two network connections - the LAN card and the wireless card. Now I can access the internet on the laptop via the wireless card and the LAN card is brdige to it. This alllows the HR20 to see the PC and the internet.

That is the only change I made.

8. jgrade

jgrade Godfather

Sep 30, 2006
    Doesn't that limit your connection to the internet to the times your laptop is running and connected. What happens when VOD is enabled and you don't have your laptop? I think you may want to rethink your setup.

Anyway glad to see it's working.

9. Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006
    Excellent point jgrade.

savodom,
    You may want to consider plugging that thing into a router/gateway piece of equipment so it is not dependent on portable equipment in place and powered on.

10. mjgolli

mjgolli Non Compus Mentis

Aug 7, 2007
    Yes, sharing your internet via a wireless card in a laptop makes all your computers dependent on the laptop being connected and on at all times.

You should use a router to connect to the internet and have your gateway address set to the router on all devices connected to said router.

- Mike

11. savdom

savdom Mentor

Sep 6, 2006
    All of the PCs in the house, including the laptop, are still connected to the internet via the wireless Netgear router. The only device going thru the laptop is the HR20.

Yes, I will connect a wireless router to the HR20 at some point. But, for now the laptop does the job as it sits in the family room, is always on and connected to DSL. I really just did this to see if I could get it to work. Once I started I wanted to beat it. :)

I agree, when VOD is available I will want the HR20 connected to a wireless router.

Thanks Guys!

12. Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.