1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20 not showing pc when pc in standby mode

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by mx6bfast, Aug 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Hall Of Fame

Nov 8, 2006
    Delray...
    I posted this in another thread and was advised to create a new thread to get more responses.

I have been using XP with WMP 11 and this is the issue I am usually having.

I have my pc setup to go into standby after 3 hours. Even after I wake my pc up my HR20 will still not show Music and Photos. I have to reboot the pc or my HR20for it to finally show up. Then once I do all is well.

When my pc wakes up how long should it take M&P to show up on my HR20? Am I just not giving it enough time to display? Shouldn’t the HR20 still be able to see the files if the system is in standy?

2. JFHughes08088

JFHughes08088 Godfather

Mar 24, 2007
    I don't know the answer to your question but what about setting your PC power options to turn off monitor and hard drive after a set amount of time but NOT go into stand-by? This will save your monitor and stop your hard drive from spinning during times of inactivity but keeps the PC on the network

3. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Hall Of Fame

Nov 8, 2006
    Delray...
    I previously set it to turn off hard disks but I don't remember if I set it to go into standy-by. When I had it setup that way M&P still disappeared. Maybe I did have stand-by turned on. I'll change those settings and provide info later.

4. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Hall Of Fame

Nov 8, 2006
    Delray...
    Those setting worked. I haven't touched the pc and M&P is still showing up and I can access them.

5. richlife

richlife Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2006
    Interesting problem, mx6bfast. I'm glad you found a workaround. I had noticed that the HR20 didn't lose Music & Photos unless I literally disconnected or turned off my computer. Even after Standby and Hibernation. I assume it's a function of my network and/or equipment that everything is re-established unless I explicitly disconnect.

6. Sep 2, 2007 #6 of 15
    mx6bfast

mx6bfast Hall Of Fame

Nov 8, 2006
    Delray...
    I haven't used my HR20 much the past 2 weeks but I am running into the same issue. PC is in stand-by upstairs, have used it a few times today, yet M&P don't display in my HR20.

When I run the test on my HR20 it says it's connected and I can see it making it thru the firewall via the rule I setup in Sygate.

Is this going to mess up my abilities with VOD?

7. Sep 2, 2007 #7 of 15
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Standby for PC mean stop executing programs, keep RAM working ( refresh cells and keep current data) and wake up by external signal only - here you can make changes in BIOS (NVRAM): by modem, KB, mouse, NIC ( it will sometime require 'magic' packets ), etc.

8. Sep 3, 2007 #8 of 15
    mx6bfast

mx6bfast Hall Of Fame

Nov 8, 2006
    Delray...
    So what state should I put the PC in?

Does it matter that the light on the HR20 is orange? It always passes network tests and show's up in the DHCP table.

9. Sep 3, 2007 #9 of 15
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Try use standby mode with NIC WOL feature w/out 'magic' packets if your BIOS allow.

10. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Hall Of Fame

Nov 8, 2006
    Delray...
    I haven't been in the BIOS in a while. Where would I check that?

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Power management page.

12. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    That is one of the features that was a part of the ViiV standard...
    That the PC would be able to "wake up", when you wanted some content from it.

I am not sure if any of the other Media Servers can do that.

Even with NIC WOL support on your board, it will be dependent on the HR20 being to send the right request to your PC to wake it up.

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Told yeah, some MB/NIC have ability wake up without 'magic' packets, just by comparing target MAC address.

14. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Hall Of Fame

Nov 8, 2006
    Delray...
    Under Power I have: ACPI ,After Power Failure [Stay Off], and Wake On PCI PME [Stay off]

Under ACPI I have:
    ACPI Suspend State, options S3 State (currently chosen), and S1 State.
    Wake on LAN from S5, options Stay Off (chosen) and Power On

15. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Personally there is nothing that would make me enable WOL unless I had a hardware firewall. My last computer shipped with it enabled, and it woke by itself until I turned WOL off. I could never prove an attack from outside but always suspected it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.