1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20 Playlist freezing

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Blackfoot_Bandit, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Jul 1, 2010 #1 of 12
    Blackfoot_Bandit

Blackfoot_Bandit Mentor

Sep 8, 2007
    On one of my two HR20-700's, my playlist freezes when ever I try to go off the first page. I can arrow up and down, open folders and even play anything on the first page of my playlist. As soon as I try to either arrow past the last entry on the screen, or page down, the playlist freezes up. I can exit to live TV, change channels, Record, Trick play, etc. The guide even works as expected, going up or down by pages or lines and tuning to a channel when selected. When I press list again, I either see the frozen playlist with the highlight still where it froze up, or I see a partial list with a few items or no items. Either way still frozen and unable to move. The power button LED flashes showing that the DVR received the signal too.

I have changed my playlist option to Local playlist only on both DVR's and performed 4 RBR's already. Right now I am doing a surface test on the HDD, but thought I would bring this topic up in case anyone could give me some ideas or things to try.

2. Jul 2, 2010 #2 of 12
    Blackfoot_Bandit

Blackfoot_Bandit Mentor

Sep 8, 2007
    I fell asleep waiting for the surface test to finish and woke up to a DVR that had rebooted, so I don't know the final outcome. I'm certain the HDD is ok as I'm not having stuttering problems during playback and there were 0 errors when it was 44% done. Not saying there weren't any later on, but I'm doubtful.

Further testing. I am able to go into Mark/Delete and scroll up and down by lines or pages. I deleted anything that recorded yesterday, thinking that I had a bad recording messing up my playlist. Once the mark/Delete was done I had a blank list so I did a soft reset via the menu.

From the other DVR, I am able to see the combined playlist and play any show from the remote DVR. It would seem that somehow only my playlist is affected. Is there a way to rebuild this? I'm contemplating going to tonight's CE to see if it will resolve it. Being limited to one page, or watching in another room could get old pretty quick.

3. Jul 3, 2010 #3 of 12
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    If this happens again, try doing a simple restart.

When the surface test completed, that's what it did.
    And all is well now, right?

4. Jul 3, 2010 #4 of 12
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Well... I'm guessing you actually did try restarting. My advice is to unplug it for about a day and a half. Yeah, really that long. And I mean unplug it, no power at all. If that doesn't work for you, then you could do a "reset everything" but you'd lose your programming.

5. Jul 4, 2010 #5 of 12
    Blackfoot_Bandit

Blackfoot_Bandit Mentor

Sep 8, 2007
    Yes I have reset both DVR's many times. The downstairs DVR is the one that has the freezing playlist. After more troubleshooting, I found out that if I stop sharing MRV on the upstairs DVR, the playlist no longer freezes, providing it is not already frozen when I stop the sharing. If it is frozen, a RBR fixes it. But as soon as I start sharing from upstairs, it freezes the PL downstairs.

Thanks for the tip on unplugging the DVR for that long. If that doesn't resolve it, which unit do you think I should reset everything on? Is the upstairs unit sending out bad information that is causing the downstairs DVR to freak in the PL? Or is the downstairs unit not reading the upstairs unit right?

I upgraded the downstairs unit to this weekends CE, but it made no difference.

6. Jul 4, 2010 #6 of 12
    gully_foyle

gully_foyle Hall Of Fame

Jan 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Before you clear everything, you might try updating the firmware on the upstairs DVR, probably while it is unshared. IF that doesn't work, and you have to clear something, I'd clear the source (upstairs) DVR first.

7. Jul 5, 2010 #7 of 12
    Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    Had a service call today for a customer. Had a different issue where his DOD would say "Download Paused" even if it wasn't. Updating fixed it, however he called me back an hour later with a new problem.

Pretty much the same thing you described. Playlist locks up, or is blank. I told him i'd be back in the morning I'll let you know what I come up with.

edit:

Customer called me this morning, said disabling sharing on the upstairs HR24 stopped the playlist from freezing downstairs. He said that was fine, I told him if I find a solution I would let him know.

8. FlyingBoat

FlyingBoat Mentor

Jul 15, 2010
    Something similar happening to me. I have had DirecTV for about 3 weeks. DVR playlist has frozen two times. Reset gets it to work. It is frozen on both DVRs, so I wouldn't know which is causing it, (or even a third one in the basement that I haven't used much yet). Service call scheduled. Mine are HR24's.

9. Blackfoot_Bandit

Blackfoot_Bandit Mentor

Sep 8, 2007
    I ended up unplugging my upstairs unit, the one where I turned off the sharing, for 32+ hours. After I powered it back on, I enabled sharing and then checked on the downstairs unit. It worked like it should and has been for over a month now.

10. jal

jal Icon

Mar 3, 2005
    I am having the same issue on my Hr20-700 and my Hr21-700. I've RBR'd, etc. , to no avail. The only thing that works is unplugging the ethernet cables, then doing a reset. All is fine until ethernet is plugged back in, then I can page down to the bottom of the first page, then the list freezes again. I can exit out, but when I return, its frozen in the same place. I don't know what to do from here.

11. jal

jal Icon

Mar 3, 2005
    I should add that a second HR20-700 can see all dvrs just fine and can play from any playlist without freezing.

12. Blackfoot_Bandit

Blackfoot_Bandit Mentor

Sep 8, 2007
    If you know which DVR is causing the playlist to freeze, turn off Multi Room Viewing on that DVR. If your playlist no longer freezes, unplug the DVR that you just turned off MRV on for 1 1/2 days. I found it hard to believe at first too, but after leaving it unplugged (the power cord from the wall, not the Ethernet) for about 32+ hours it resolved the problem.