DBSTalk Forum banner

HR20-POS has screwed me for the last time!

2K views 38 replies 20 participants last post by  Beerstalker 
#1 ·
I got home tonight from our lacrosse game to find that my POS DVR opted to record 3 hours of 721 black screen rather than the Isles last game of the year. After 17 seasons of NHLCI on DirecTV, I'm done. I'm going to NHL Game Center Live. I'll be able to watch anywhere, and if I'm watching after the fact, the game will still be there, not held hostage by a beta-test DVR!

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#4 ·
islesfan said:
I got home tonight from our lacrosse game to find that my POS DVR opted to record 3 hours of 721 black screen rather than the Isles last game of the year. After 17 seasons of NHLCI on DirecTV, I'm done. I'm going to NHL Game Center Live. I'll be able to watch anywhere, and if I'm watching after the fact, the game will still be there, not held hostage by a beta-test DVR!

What channel did you try to record this on? the rights to all the playoff games are held by NBC so unless you recorded the correct channel, you would get 721 messages. Nothing to do with the HR20.

#5 ·
I don't think this has to do with a specific HDDVR model or type. It has to do the way part-time channels are broadcasted.

#7 ·
sigma1914 said:
The game was not nationally on a part time channel; it was on NBCSN.
I was just going by the fact the OP had NHLCI and under the impression that these were on PT channels, like the other premium sport packages subscriptions. I don't watch NHL

#8 ·
Phil17108 said:
May be it's time to get an upgrade on your DVR's. The HR20 was the first and the 21 not long after. Call D and see what you can do.
And the HR21-23 aren't any better than a 20, other than 3D, more hard drive and built in BBCs, depending on model. They are slower and need an am21.

Unless the drive s failing, no real point in upgrading. Plus, they are all based on the same software.

#11 ·
The game wasn't carried on NBC Sports (or any national net) which means I should not have been blacked out on MSG with my NHLCI subscription. If it turns out that, at the last moment they did put the game on a national net, then as soon as it detected a blackout the HR-POS should have used game search to find that alternative.
Either way, my autorecord "ISLANDERS" - HOCKEY should have recorded the game on an available channel, and the $150 I spent on NHLCI should have opened that channel. If I had gone with Game Center, it wouldn't matter which channel, the game would still be there. As it is, my HR-POS didn't record so I'm out and it was too late to do anything about it.

Admittedly, I was already pissed since I bought a Nomad to watch hockey this season only to find out later that DirecTV considers NHLCI to be Pay per View and therefore not available for Nomad. It isn't PPV in any sense of the word, but they have no intention of fixing it, so I see no reason to give them the money for a service I could get elsewhere where it actually works.

#14 ·
islesfan said:
The game wasn't carried on NBC Sports (or any national net) which means I should not have been blacked out on MSG with my NHLCI subscription. If it turns out that, at the last moment they did put the game on a national net, then as soon as it detected a blackout the HR-POS should have used game search to find that alternative.
Either way, my autorecord "ISLANDERS" - HOCKEY should have recorded the game on an available channel, and the $150 I spent on NHLCI should have opened that channel. If I had gone with Game Center, it wouldn't matter which channel, the game would still be there. As it is, my HR-POS didn't record so I'm out and it was too late to do anything about it.
Admittedly, I was already pissed since I bought a Nomad to watch hockey this season only to find out later that DirecTV considers NHLCI to be Pay per View and therefore not available for Nomad. It isn't PPV in any sense of the word, but they have no intention of fixing it, so I see no reason to give them the money for a service I could get elsewhere where it actually works.
You don't list your location. But it must be out if New York if you are expecting Center Ice to open MSG. it won't. ALL playoff games are on national channels unless you are local. Center Ice is over.

#15 ·
trh said:
NHLCI is only for regular season games and has no impact on the playoffs. Jeffgbailey's answer is correct.
I am in FL and I watched the game on NBCSN.
And if you spent $150 on CI this season, you got way overcharged.
NHLCI always covered first two round games that were not national before. Why the change?

Also, I'm in Nevada, so out of market.

#16 ·
islesfan said:
NHLCI is only for regular season games and has no impact on the playoffs. Jeffgbailey's answer is correct.
I am in FL and I watched the game on NBCSN.
And if you spent $150 on CI this season, you got way overcharged.
NHLCI always covered first two round games that were not national before. Why the change?

Also, I'm in Nevada, so out of market.

If it was on a national station, I go back to my original complaint, that is the HR-POS didn't record as it should have. It has an autorecord of ISLANDERS-HOCKEY, so why would it record on MSG rather than NBC-whatever, and even after that, why didn't game search take over? Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#18 ·
My memory isn't as good as it used to be, but I always thought CI ended with the regular season. But what did change in 2011 was when NBC signed a ten-year contract with the NHL. http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=560238

I think what happened is that NBCSN didn't have an updated guide and your DVR recorded the MSG channel, which was blacked out for you. Like right now my NBCSN says teams TBA but NESN shows Boston and Toronto. So if I had an auto record for the Bruins, it would be recording NESN and it would be blank.

Sorry you missed game 7. Ooops. Game 6.

#21 ·
To me the HR20's as well as other HR2x models are reliable, it's the SW that ruins it with its glitches and bugs, and also all the confusion with blackouts.

#22 ·
armophob said:
I cannot express in words how glad I am to be rid of my HR20's and moved into a Genie.
The "I" phone 1 is now about to be deemed an artifact.
Dvr's are not like vhs back in the day.
One year is 10 jumps in tech.
Well, I have the new an improved protection plan, so I plan to try to upgrade to the Genie after the Stanley Cup Final and NCAA Lacrosse final.

#24 ·
I am not trying to be a salesman or instigator here. I am just saying that once you upgrade you get it when it comes to how far we have come. Much to the credit of the CE process that Directv has used in mutual benefit.
THey won't even take my HR20's back because they are so old.
acostapimps said:
To me the HR20's as well as other HR2x models are reliable, it's the SW that ruins it with its glitches and bugs, and also all the confusion with blackouts.

#25 ·
islesfan said:
If it was on a national station, I go back to my original complaint, that is the HR-POS didn't record as it should have. It has an autorecord of ISLANDERS-HOCKEY, so why would it record on MSG rather than NBC-whatever, and even after that, why didn't game search take over? Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk
I doubt the dvr was the issue, but guide data that could easily be screwed up no matter what dvr you use from anyone. What was your exact search string? The one thing I don't ever rely on is gamesearch, because sometimes it doesn't work right with some of the blackout stuff they do at the last minute due to guide data not being as accurate as it should be.

And all the hr2x's use the same software, and i don't have issues with any of them. I have many Auto records for sports set up on mine and others I know, and no one misses games if you set it up just right. But genies are the true fix in terms of number of tuners to record more things

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.