1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20, rebooting and increased stability advice

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by rbmcgee, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbmcgee

rbmcgee Legend

Sep 18, 2007
    Hi all,

If you were to reset/reboot the HR20 every night (menu reset), do you think it would increase overall stability and/or responsiveness or would that be potentially harmful and life-shortening?

I like to reboot my computers every so often (they all operate on awake/asleep) just to get a clean environment.

2. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I certainly wouldn't recommend doing this every night, just for the sake of rebooting. If you're having a specific problem, a reboot is usually recommended as part of the process to eliminate the problem at that time, but don't do it as a preventative measure.

3. LI-SVT

LI-SVT Icon

May 18, 2006
    Rebooting that often may make it slower and less stable. Since the box is analyzing the guide for your recordings you would be most likely disrupting and repeating the process. Maby once a week would be ok. Then again if you are having problems and think a daily reboot would help your box may be bad.

4. Brillian1080p

Brillian1080p New Member

Aug 18, 2006
    As anyone else having ""My List" problems like this? I go to "My List" and choose something to play, but when I select play, the only option it gives is to either delete or save. The only fix I've found so far is to reset from the setup menu. After reset I go back to my list and anything I choose will play correctly.

I am using a DB35 750gb Seagate esata in an Antec enclosure plugged into the esata port. I have no issues that I know of with the esata.

5. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
  6. rbmcgee

rbmcgee Legend

Sep 18, 2007
    BMoreRavens,

Thanks for the link. Quite a coincidence. I'm thinking that rebooting the HR20 is a good thing to do. Same reasons booting a computer (which is what a HR20 is after all) is a pretty good idea.

I have the advantage of being able to have a computer automatically reboot the HR20 in the middle of the night so that the effort to hit the buttons or the time it takes to return are irrelevant for me.

7. Katodude00

Katodude00 Mentor

Nov 3, 2006
    Well I am going to start reseting my reciever on a weekly basis. I have just come back from a very very long trip and expected to find an eSata drive filled with lots of stuff to watch, instead it just locked up after two weeks. I just bought a slingbox so I can now check the status while I am away and since I cannot RBR the machine remotely I will try reseting on a weekly basis and see if that stops the freeze ups. I would be happy to report the results.

8. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    I would suggest doing a menu restart about every two to three weeks depending on use. You'll clear up the effects of memory leaks and, at least in the case, of the three HR20s I keep on the NR they seem to be more stable.

If you're doing the CE you're probably doing a restart each week when you get the download.

9. gcisko

gcisko I am Iron Man!

Sep 27, 2006
    Can you also have you computer type '0 2 4 6 8' on your remote while it reboots on the first screen? You would really have something then...

10. Katodude00

Katodude00 Mentor

Nov 3, 2006
    Better yet, Slingbox needs to make a special version for the HR series with a servo mechanism that will push RBR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.