1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20 Remote Control question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by JVM, Mar 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 6, 2007 #1 of 25
    JVM

JVM Legend

Feb 21, 2007
    I just upgraded to HD with the HR20-700 DVR and the remote control in DirecTV mode shuts off both the TV and DVR when I press the OFF button under TV on the Remote Control -- is this normal?

2. Mar 6, 2007 #2 of 25
    chris1207

chris1207 Cool Member

Oct 15, 2006
    Yes, since you've programmed the remote for both DTV and the TV.

The PWR button will only power the device for which the switch is set. TV power on does both the DTV box and the TV.

3. Mar 7, 2007 #3 of 25
    JVM

JVM Legend

Feb 21, 2007
    Thanks for the info, although I still don't understand why it shuts off both TV and DVR since that doesn't happen with the R15 or R10, using the Power Off button in DirecTV mode and pressing TV Off button.

4. Mar 8, 2007 #4 of 25
    NYBuddy

NYBuddy AllStar

Mar 28, 2006
    I have a similar problem, but when I hit the TV Power button it only shuts off the HR20 and not my TV like it should. I have tried the three codes that were provided and it is the same on all 3. Can anyone help?

5. Mar 8, 2007 #5 of 25
    JVM

JVM Legend

Feb 21, 2007
    Did you have the slide switch in TV mode when programming the remote?

6. Mar 8, 2007 #6 of 25
    NYBuddy

NYBuddy AllStar

Mar 28, 2006
    yes I did, it was in TV mode. The only way I can turn the TV on and off with the remote is to slide the switch to TV and hit the main power button. (kind of defeats th purpose of having the TV Power button as a stand alone)

7. Mar 8, 2007 #7 of 25
    JVM

JVM Legend

Feb 21, 2007
    Are you using the Power Off button under TV with slide switch in DirecTV mode? I know that works for me.

8. Mar 8, 2007 #8 of 25
    nowandthen

nowandthen Godfather

Nov 18, 2005
    Can you make it turn off the TV only, leaving the DVR on without having to slide the switch to the TV position. I like to leave the DVR on so I can watch from the bedroom.

Thanks.

9. farmdwg

farmdwg Mentor

Feb 5, 2007
    Same here guys. I just got my HR20 and I programmed the remote in TV mode and when I have the remote in the DTV mode and press any power button, DVR and TV go off.

There has got to be a fix for this.

10. JVM

JVM Legend

Feb 21, 2007

I called DirecTV and was told more than once that is the way it works; meaning, TV power button OFF shuts off both TV and DVR -- same as on R15. The separate power button to the left shuts off and puts on the DVR.

Since I use a universal remote control (Universal RF20), this is really a non-issue for me, but I still think it is kind of silly the way DirecTV designs those non-Tivo remotes (R15 & HR20) with regard to powering on/off your TV.

11. nowandthen

nowandthen Godfather

Nov 18, 2005
    This needs to be added to the list of things to fix. Make the PWR button, (top center on the RC34 remorte) turn off your TV only, the other ON and Off buttons, top right, should turn off the HR20 and the TV, just like it says on the RC 34 remote. Why do I want to turn off the HR20? I can understand it if it's in the bedroom and you don't want the blue LEDs lighting up your room but otherwise what is the point? The HR20 is still running, waiting to record your shows. I never "turned off" my HR10. It's symantics. I want the HR20 to stay on so I can watch it from other locations in the house.

Now

12. JVM

JVM Legend

Feb 21, 2007
    You can either dim or turn off the blue light (blue light in a circle) by pressing the left and right buttons simultaneously around the blue light that is in a circle.

13. nowandthen

nowandthen Godfather

Nov 18, 2005
    I understand that. I guess I assume most people don't have a clue. :D My DVR is in my Den. Blue lights don't bother me. I just want to be able to turn off my TV without sliding switches or having another remote lying around, and leave the DVR on so I can go in the bedroom and watch from there. I appreciate your help though. ;)

14. nowandthen

nowandthen Godfather

Nov 18, 2005
    Looks like the buffer dumps when the receiver is turned off. Another reason to leave it on.

Can we add a request to the list of fixes to have an option that the reciever will not turn off from the remote? My HR10 is on 24/7/365 and I'd prefer my HR20 do the same.

15. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Use the tv power ON button to turn the tv off and leave the DVR on. With most tv sets it is an on/off toggle.

The R15 does dump the buffer when placed in standby. The HR20 does not dump the buffer in standby.

Unless you have a specific reason to leave it on (such as to watch a remote tv being fed by it), it is recommended to turn off both the R15 and HR20 when not using them. However it does not seem to do any harm to leave it on either.

Carl

16. nowandthen

nowandthen Godfather

Nov 18, 2005
    I just turned off the HR20 and the buffer remained. Not sure whyit cleared the other night. As long as the buffer remains, then it's not that big of a deal if it stays on or not (now that I have another D* remote for the bedroom).

17. thecrave

thecrave AllStar

Jan 11, 2007
    I have the same problem. The D & TV Power buttons don't do anything. But the center PWR button works for the TV only if I slide the button to TV. Defeats the purpose.

Any solution?

18. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Once you go through the menu to remote and set it up. The on/off switch will work for both. Most did not see the installer doing this on the installation.

19. thecrave

thecrave AllStar

Jan 11, 2007
    Right. I did this (again) and it works fine when I slide the switch to TV. But the right hand D & TV on/off buttons don't work.

Is there a special code, like for enabling my AV1 volume controls on all options, that I should be entering? Couldn't find it.

20. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    See page 10 of the remote control manual...
    http://www.directv.com/see/pdf/RC32.pdf

EDIT
    Welcome to the forum...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.