1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

hr20 remote suddenly not responding

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by nxmehta, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nxmehta

nxmehta New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    My remote was working fine since installation a few days ago, until today when I was trying to try some new codes for my Vizio VX32L TV. I had a similar problem to others in the forum where the off button will not power down the Vizio TV. So I tried to use the 9-9-1 programming sequence to search for the correct code. After performing this sequence (maybe I messed something up?) my remote ceased to function in DTV mode. The remote still works for the TV, but does nothing in DTV mode. I have tried the 9-8-1 reset sequence, and after that I can program the TV again properly but entering 0-0-0-0-1 for the DTV code has no effect. Did I break something here? Or is there something I'm missing... It seems strange that the remote was working fine and now won't restore from a reset.

2. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain New Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Try using the 00002 for the DTV, 00001 is misprint in the guide for HR20.

3. nxmehta

nxmehta New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Tried 0-0-0-0-2 as well, didn't work.

4. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca
    The alternate code for the Hr20 is 00003. But if your receiver & remote was set to RF, the remote might have droped out of RF mode, and so do the following:

1. select directv device
    2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
    3. enter 9 6 1
    4. press CH UP
    5. enter the last 6 digits of the receiver ID #, found on a sticker in the access card compartment
    6. press SELECT

5. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    :welcome_s to DBStalk

Stupid question but where you go into to program the remote in the HR20 menu did you change the HR20 to AV1 by any chance or does it still say Directv in the program remote menu?

6. Smuuth

Smuuth DIRECTV A-Team

Oct 4, 2005
    If you restore the factory defaults to the remote (mute and select together- light flash 2 times, then 981 - light flash 4 times), then with the slide switch at the top to the far left D* setting it should control your HR20 without having to put in any code.

After that try 10056 for your VX32L, it works for everything except TV input.

7. nxmehta

nxmehta New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    This solved it for me! Thanks so much! I did have it in RF before i reset the remote. I didn't see this particular keystroke in the remote manual- where did you find it? Or did I miss it?

8. crazyick

crazyick AllStar

Sep 24, 2006
    I was having basically the same problem with an h20 remote (worked fine for TV not so fine for h20). Used your advice and now all is well, thank you. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.