1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20 Remote Won't Program for Yamaha RCVR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by nuclawyer, Oct 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nuclawyer

nuclawyer New Member

Oct 13, 2006
    The suggested codes in the HR20 manual for my Yamaha RX800 rcvr do not work (can not get the HR20 remote to control the Yamaha volume). Any suggestions (i.e., alternate codes)?

2. DufferEA

DufferEA AllStar

Aug 29, 2006
    I have the RX-V2200, and couldn't get it to work. I went with a Harmony remote works great

3. g4jedi

g4jedi Godfather

Aug 21, 2006
    I too, use a Harmony remote. It works perfectly with our setup. I highly recommend the Harmony remote. I LOVE the "activities" feature. I push one button that I labeled "Watch DirecTV" and it does everything. I push one button that I labeled "Watch a DVD" and it does everything. Push one button to turn off the entire system. What's not to love about it!

4. lenwink

lenwink Cool Member

Jul 8, 2006
    Can only get the volume to work on my RX-Z1

5. EZ Ed

EZ Ed New Member

Aug 24, 2006
    What did you try?
    Possible codes: 0176 1176 0186 1286 0354

6. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca
    First it doesn't matter what brand of AUD receiver you have, the vol never works initially until you do the following: In the case of the yamaha use code 30176. There needs to be a TV code programmed to the TV device, yours or any brand. Then do the following:

1. av1 or av2
    2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
    3. enter 9-9-3
    4. press VOL UP

7. johnchart

johnchart Legend

Sep 17, 2006
    Edmund

I was also having problems getting the volumn from my Yamaha receiver set up.
    I tried your "4 step" advice & got it to work the first time.

Minor complaint tho: Is there a way to control the volume when in the DirecTV mode? Kind of a pain switching back & forth from DirecTV to AV1.

John

8. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca
    Yes:

1. AV1
    3. enter 9-9-3
    4. press SELECT

To restore the tv vol to the tv device only:

1. TV
    3. enter 9-9-3
    4. press VOL DOWN

9. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    AHA! My HERO!!! I thank you, my wife thanks you, my HTR-5960 thanks you! :D

10. RCKYMTN

RCKYMTN AllStar

Jan 14, 2006
    I can't even get the remote to turn off and on my yamaha receiver. I understand that needs to be achieved first, before trying Edmund's 4 step process to control the volume?

What code did you use to get the directv remote to turn off/on the yamaha receiver? The receiver is turned off by a "standby" button it the normal remote, and power button to turn it back on. Does this affect why the DTV remote won't turn it off and on?

thanks.., is the programming the same the an H20 remote vs. the HR20 remote?

11. evw81

evw81 Cool Member

Nov 29, 2004
    This step worked well to get my Yamaha receiver to turn the volume up and down, but I still cannot turn the audio receiver on or off with the DTV remote. I used the code above (30176).

Also, is there a way (like the Tivo remote) to be able to press the power button and have it turn on (or off) the TV and Audio receiver, have the volume buttons control the audio receiver, and the input button control the TV input? This was very nice on the Tivo remote and saved having to buy an expensive harmony.

Thanks -

12. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca
    No, you can't power off the receiver along with tv & dtv receiver. And no the white remote will never power it both on & off. Not with yamaha use of a two button power scheme. And no power toggle available for single power key remotes.

13. matto

matto Banned User

Sep 1, 2006
    just fyi, i dont think ive turned off my sony tae9k or my adcom power amp for the last 4 years. the world hasn't ended yet.

14. hfhlt004

hfhlt004 AllStar

Nov 18, 2005
    I do not have a receiver, but use the Yamaha Sound Projector (YSP1) for all sound for my AV system. Everything but the HDMI goes to the YSP1. I have the HDMI into my Sony KDF42WE655 and optical audio into my Yamaha. Besides the HR20, I have the optical out from my Sony DVD player to the optical in of the Yamaha., and DVD component video into my Sony TV.

In regards to the first sentence, I am trying to get the HR20 remote to control my Yamaha volume. The suggestions mentioned above do not work for me, unless I am missing something. I have never been able to control my Yamaha volume with anything other than the included remote, even when I tried a Harmony (which I returned).

Does anyone have a suggestion? I don't mind switching remotes for my DVD, but the volume control on the HR20 would really be useful, even if I can't get other functions to work.

By the way, I am using the new backlit remote RC32RF and like it though I was surprised that the HR20 does not have RF function. But is there any way to have the backlit timed on longer. It cuts off too fast for me.

15. spidey

spidey Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    try AV2 30176. The site is http://www.ezremote.com/setupcodehelp/DTV/ProductSelection.php you put in your DTV remote and tells you code and key. I have a RX530 and the code it told me worked perfectly.

16. RCKYMTN

RCKYMTN AllStar

Jan 14, 2006
    Edmund, thanks for the process., it worked great for my Yamaha too. I did everything except I hit select instead of vol up, and it controls the receiver in DTV mode, and AV1. I can live with not powering on/off the receiver itself.

17. Truffles100

Truffles100 AllStar

Jan 26, 2007
    Has anyone been able to get the remote to work with the Yamaha RX-V1? I've tried all suggested remote codes.. both per the HR20 set up and from the ezremote website.

I just want to be able to adjust the volume.

I have the RC34.

18. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Thank you Spidey, nice find!

19. teletubby

teletubby Cool Member

Jan 22, 2007
    truffles-

i think you will find that the "30176" referenced above WILL work, although not necessarily on the first try. it took me a couple before i got the remote to take, for my yamaha rxv-3000. if yo do what RKCYMTN did by pressing "select" instead of "volume up", you WILL NOT have to use the slide on the top of the remote to change volume.

all this for your better television viewing pleasure...

20. neumanngroup

neumanngroup New Member

May 12, 2007
    OK, So I have a Yamaha RX-V540 receiver and the HR20-100 and the RC34 remote. I have tried almost every single code about 7 times on each of the AV1 and AV2 slides.

It still does not work!

I am about to go crazy here. What am I doing wrong?

I am to assume that in order to do anything you MUST get the initial code working so that you can power off the receiver. I cannot even get to that step. I have tried all the codes multiple times.

I will not buy a Harmony remote.

I also programmed my TV in as per some other posts, but now no matter what selection I use the volume up and down controls the volume on my TV, not my receiver. I have tried the 993 thing and that does not work. Once again, I am to assume that you must get the receiver power working before you can do anything else.

I cannot believe that Directv would make this so impossible for anyone with a home theater.

Can anyone help me?!??!??!?!

Thanks...

Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.