1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20 & Tversity - Linksys WET11 vs WGA54GA

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by hells_bells, Aug 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hells_bells

hells_bells AllStar

Jul 15, 2007
    Does anyone have any idea why I can't get the HR-20 to see my Tversity media servers (x2) with a Linksys WGA54AG but I can get it work with a Linksys WET11?

The HR-20 network connectivity works both the WET11 and WRT54AG but when using the WRT54AG I cannot see the media servers.

Firewalls are turnd off, equipment rebooted, WRT54AG cloning turn off (and tried it with it on), IP addresses tired with both static and DHCP but still nothing.

2. vegasflyby

vegasflyby AllStar

Aug 7, 2007
    Make sure your router has the latest firmware.

3. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Others have reported problems with Version 1 of the WGA54 and Version 2 worked.

Make sure the WGA54 is setup for internet play and the ad-hoc switch/setting is set to infrastructure. I recommend turning clone mode off as well.

4. hells_bells

hells_bells AllStar

Jul 15, 2007
    Yes, I have the latest router and bridge firmware

5. hells_bells

hells_bells AllStar

Jul 15, 2007
    I'm actually using a WGA54AG Version 1. I'm 100% sure the HR20 is on the network when using the WGA54GA. However, I cannot get the media sharing to work. Tried TVersity and WMP11 from multiple PC's but nothing. Then I pug the HR-20 in the WET11 and BANG, I can see everything.

I tried every possible setting on the WGA54AG, turned off all AV/Firewalls, reboots, resets, static/DHCP, cloning on/off, etc but still nothing.

I did use the WGA54AG on a PC and it worked great.

I'm not a rookie at this stuff, but I almost had to say this one has be beat.

One note, when using the HR20 off the WET11 and then I move the HR20 to the WGA54AG it'll work for 10-20 minutes, then the HR-20 will report that it can't find the media server. Then, no matter what I do the HR20/WGA54AG can't find the media servers.

P.S. - Windows Event Viewer shows nothing.

Any ideas would be helpful....

6. RonH

RonH Godfather

Jul 25, 2007
    I don't want to hijack your post but I just got my HR20 and want to setup the Network ,so is the Linksys WET11 or the WGA54GA suppose to be the better way to go? What is the difference to the 2?

Thanks

7. hells_bells

hells_bells AllStar

Jul 15, 2007
    I've had no problems with the WET11 but ZERO luck with the WGA54AG. Other's have gotten the WGA54G to work but I don't have that model.

8. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I had a version one WGA54AG and I was not able to get it to work at all. Spanky_Partain suggested turning off MAC address cloning, and I think that's worked for other people but it didn't work for me.

9. hells_bells

hells_bells AllStar

Jul 15, 2007
    Do they even make a version 2 of the WGA54AG? The linksys website only list version 1 under the firmware....

10. hells_bells

hells_bells AllStar

Jul 15, 2007
    Well, I can confirm that an HR20 using WGA54AG doesn't connect to a TVersity or WMP11 media server. I also used a WET11 during testing and the WET11 worked great every time.

The HR20 using the WGA54AG does connect to the network/internet without a problem. I can also use a PC to connect to the wireless network via WGA54AG without any problems. The only thing I can't do is find a media server on the HR20.

Tried Cloning on/off, DHCP/Static IPs, reboot/resets, restore to factory default, turning off all firewall/AV stuff, multiple media servers, and everything I can think of.

Some additional info:
    Router: WRT54G
    WGA54AG Firmware: 2.05

This is the first time a wireless device has beaten me :(.

Back to the WET11 I guess....

11. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Unless you run a program like Ethereal and see the connection, there's no reason to think that the WGA is actually connecting. I've posted on this several times before, I find the network test protocols on HR20 highly questionable. They return outright false results under certain circumstances.

12. hells_bells

hells_bells AllStar

Jul 15, 2007
    Well, the WGA54AG works when I hook up a laptop to it. The HR20 network connection also fails if I disassociate the WGA54AG from the wireless network. I fully believe the HR20 is on the network it's just the HR20 can't see the media servers through the WGA54AG.

13. hells_bells

hells_bells AllStar

Jul 15, 2007
    Has anyone ever been able to do media sharing on the HR20 via a WGA54AG with firmware v. 2.05?

14. hells_bells

hells_bells AllStar

Jul 15, 2007
    maybe I'll have to run to best buy and try another WGA54AG....

15. hells_bells

hells_bells AllStar

Jul 15, 2007
    Tried another device (Slinglink Turbo) and again the media sharing works flawlessly.

16. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Way to go hells_bells! I had the same experience. When you say the WGA worked with your laptop, are you saying you could use it to connect to your network, or just that you could connect to it?

17. Tony Chick

Tony Chick Legend

Aug 24, 2006
    Make sure uPnP is enabled in the router. It was off by default in my Linksys WRT54GS

18. hells_bells

hells_bells AllStar

Jul 15, 2007
    It's turned on. Media Streaming to the HR20 works fine through the router (WRT54G) when the HR20 is connected to either a Linksys WET11 or Slinglink Turbo. It doesn't work when using a WGA54AG.

19. hells_bells

hells_bells AllStar

Jul 15, 2007
    The laptop can connect to the network and I can surf the Internet when using the WGA54AG.

The HR20 also has a "connected" status when using the WGA54AG but media sharing doesn't work.

My recommendation:
    DON'T USE A WGA54AG WITH THE HR20. MEDIA SHARING DOESN'T WORK.

P.S. Please don't confuse the Linksys WGA54AG with the Linksys WGA54G. They are not the same thing.

20. 69hokie

69hokie Icon

Sep 23, 2006
    Uh Oh...I just bought a WGA54G at BB today to connect to a HR20 and network it in...did I get the wrong one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.