1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20 Video Networking Futures?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ss42, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ss42

ss42 New Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Sorry in advance if this was answered in one of the excellent HR20 networking threads.

I have a couple of HR20s. I can easily plug them in to our broadband connection so that they can "ping" home and exchange statistics with D*. I have really no interest in playing MP3's or looking at still pictures served up from one of several non-ViiV PCs around the house. However, it would be terrific if...

1) The HR20s could share recorded content with each other.
    2) If non-ViiV video content could be played (a la portable media players)

It reads like these are good wishes; but not yet implemented. Have I missed some other compelling reason to hook up and configure the ethenet ports on the devices?

I'd just feel like a jerk doing it for no real value at all!

Thanks in advance

2. jonaswan2

jonaswan2 Icon

Oct 29, 2005
    Video on Demand is a pretty good reason if your into that stuff, but I think I read somewhere on here that DIRECTV is planning to make popular content off-disk (kind of like showcases, only you pay for them).

3. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    VOD, Video On Demand, is on the table for the future.

There is only talk about streaming video from your PC, that has not been implemented.

You are correct that MP3's and photos are the only thing that is avliable on the network today!

4. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    The D* 201 intro channel shows "broadband video" when he presses the guide button and brings up categories.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.