1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20...VOD...Wireless

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by pete4192, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pete4192

pete4192 Godfather

May 22, 2007
    I've been browsing around, but have yet to find a solid answer. Has anyone successfully connected their HR20-100 (or 700) to a wireless network? If so, what did you use to connect? A wireless gaming adapter? A repeater?
    I have a 802.11g network, using a couple Apple Airport Express units throughout my house for coverage.
    Thanks in advance.

2. lovswr

lovswr Godfather

Jan 12, 2004
    Riverview, FL
    I connected my HR20 with a Linksys gaming bridge for about 2 months or so (my XBOX 360 as well), until I I got up off my lazy duff & ran some CAT 6. I can't remember the model number but is ubiquitous.

I ws using WEP, so it was a pain in the butt every time the power went off & I had to connect the wireless bridge to the 360 so that I could put in the key.

If your situation allows, go wired.

3. pete4192

pete4192 Godfather

May 22, 2007
    Thanks for the response, lovswr.
    I would love to run cable (haha), but with the Airport Express, I can't. I guess I could buy a new Airport Base Unit, but don't really want to. My network is wide open, so I don't have to worry about WEP or WPA, so no worries there.

4. NYSmoker

NYSmoker Icon

Aug 19, 2006
    I use a ZyXel P330W in bridge mode. Can be found for $5 sometimes, I did not get it that cheap though. I paid about $30.

5. pete4192

pete4192 Godfather

May 22, 2007
    You know, NYSmoker, I think you just gave me an idea. I could probably use any .11g router as a bridge/repeater and wire directly to that. I think that may work.

6. PlanetBill

PlanetBill Icon

May 8, 2006
    Using my cincinnati bell dsl wireless device at the computer side, cheap D-Link at the HR-20. no problems.

see sig below

7. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Not all network routers/gateways have the bridge capability. However, you can usually find third party firmware, http://www.dd-wrt.com/ , that will give you the option.

Good luck!

8. pete4192

pete4192 Godfather

May 22, 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions.

9. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Just to mention that I personally tried with a Linksys WGA and wasn't able to work.

10. mtnagel

mtnagel Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2006
    Can you explain this further? I've been waiting to network my HR20 until I see how VOD plays out or until streaming videos is enabled, but I always thought you needed a wireless gaming adapter. So you are saying you can use *some* routers as a bridge to connect to the ethernet port on the HR20 and have it wireless connect to my existing home network?

11. SoCool

SoCool Godfather

Feb 16, 2007
    South West...
    I used an old wr850g moto, flashed it with dd-wrt, set it up as a client bridge, change settings (network name, ip address) to match my wireless Linksys wrt54gs, reboot and I am connected. Runs smoothly. My main HR-20 is near the Linksys, so it is hardwired.

12. Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006

There are ways to make this work. Take a look at this post...
    I have not done it, but I do have a linksys wrt54sg that I was going to try it on. That would give me a four port ethernet bridge in the TV entertainment center.

13. mtnagel

mtnagel Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2006
    So is there any advantage to using a wireless router as opposed to a wireless gaming adapter?

14. NYSmoker

NYSmoker Icon

Aug 19, 2006
    The ZyXel bridge mode is a feature of the router, no reflashing of firmware needed like on the Linksys. I have my Xbox 360 and the HR20 connected to it.

15. Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006
    That would depend on if you are looking for increasing the amount of connections that you want in a certain area or if one wireless connection is all you need by using the gaming adapter. I happen to have a router that I am no longer using, so it would behoove me as far as cost is concerned. I would be willing to bet you could find a router cheaper on ebay than what a gaming adapter would cost as well. There have been reports of certain versions of the WGA54 gaming adapter not working at all. Not sure why since I do not use them. I use a bridge in my setup, see signature.

16. PlanetBill

PlanetBill Icon

May 8, 2006
    Matt,

I'm using a D-Link access-point, it has options to configure it in several ways. I simply put my wireless routers MAC address in it and set the HR-20 for DHCP. The D-Link bridges the network and the HR-20 recieve in IP. Worked the first time and so far everytime. My wireless router is the DSL modem cincinnati bell supplied me.

Bill

17. mtnagel

mtnagel Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2006
    Hmmm... Well gaming adapters seem to cost more money than wireless routers. I don't have an extra wireless router, but if it's easy enough to set up, and it would allow me to hook up other things to it (I have no current need, but who knows what would happen in the future), then it would make more sense to go the wireless router route.

Thanks for the info. Cincinnati Bell gave you a DSL modem that is also a wireless router? I've had Zoomtown for almost 7 years and all they gave me was a DSL modem. It recently was fried in a lightening store (my theory), so they gave me a new one, but it was exactly the same DSL modem as before.

18. PlanetBill

PlanetBill Icon

May 8, 2006
    go to a store @ cincinnati bell, ask them about a wireless dls modem, I paid $50 upfront then was credited the $50 a couple billing cycles later. They give them away now, + the new modem may have some better firmware in them and possibly give you better speed.

19. BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny Icon

Mar 19, 2007
    I've also got the wireless dsl modem - but what D-link adapter to use? I've never seen one, so how does it work? You connect it to the ethernet port?

20. jsbruner

jsbruner Cool Member

May 23, 2007
    Today I went ahead and got my HR20-700 connected to my network using a WRT54GS (V1.1) wireless router setup as a Client Bridge. I did flash to the dd-wrt firmware onto the router and set it up as a client bridge using the great guide at http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge

Once that was complete I went through the HR20-700 setup (assigned an actual IP) and connected successfully.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.