1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20 vs HR21?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Trampis, Dec 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trampis

Trampis New Member

Feb 15, 2007
    Hi guys,

Was thinking about getting the HR21 as an additional unit but I've been seeing posts about problems with it. Is it worth the switch from an HR20? I do like the black finish...:)

And all these sellers on Ebay selling the 21 saying that it is owned and not leased if you buy from them...are they BSing or what?

Thanks~

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    ebay = BS.
    When you activate it, it will be leased.
    My HR21 is fine, but the software isn't the same [yet] as the HR20, so in some ways it's still a bit behind "the curve".

3. TigerDriver

TigerDriver Electronics Engineer

Jul 27, 2007
    Most of the sellers on eBay say that the HR21 has two ATSC tuners, so you have to be skeptical of their veracity in other areas.

4. personman

personman Legend

Apr 24, 2007
    I know this is highly unlikely, but it perfectly possible to buy and own the HR21, it costs $749, but possible.

5. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    , but why would anyone want to ?
    :confused:

The lease fee that showed up on my first bill after getting the HR20 just replaced the 2nd receiver mirroring fee, so it's not really a new fee on the bill.

6. personman

personman Legend

Apr 24, 2007
    Sure. No commitment, can move from one account to another (new access card needed if account holder is different), can be sold when you disconnect your D* account...

7. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "No commitment"? This would be for an existing account?
    Back in the days of buying equipment, there still was a programing commitment when starting up a new service.

8. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    Sure. It will probably be oboslete by the time you'd try to sell it, if it breaks it's 100 % your problem to get it fixed or shell another $7xx.00 for another one....

No commitment.
    Probably a lot cheaper to break the commitment than $7xx.00.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.