1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20 Wish List Question: OTA channel Auto Scan

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Doug Brott, Mar 23, 2007.

Should OTA auto-scan be reclassified as a Missing Promised Feature?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

64 vote(s)
    100.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    It has come to my attention that one of the current HR20 Wish List items may in fact be a Missing Promised Feature. "Select the Scan for Channels button to have the receiver scan local off-air frequencies" is listed on page 78 of the DirecTV HR20 manual.

My question to the forum is this - should the following HR20 Wish List item:

The ability to auto scan for over-the-air channels

be reclassified as the following Missing Promised Feature on the HR20 Wish List?

"Select the Scan for Channels button to have the receiver scan local off-air frequencies" p. 78

The alternate answer (no) would suggest that the existing item should remain classified as-is.

2. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Just as an FYI, I will not be making this adjustment this week regardless of the results. However, if it comes up "Yes" then I will be making the adjustments next Friday.

Cheers :)

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Yes, on a technicality. Inclusion in the manual is an implicit promise.

Still, I think that the decision was made not to include OTA scanning, and they went in a different direction with it. Unlike something like sound effects, or channels I get, this is something that's not in the menu structure.

I'd classify this more like the part in the manual where it can record 2 sats PLUS 1 OTA. It's likely the manual was written before the feature set was locked in.

If this feature is taken out of the next printing of the manual I say we have very little chance.

4. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yes. This is why I'd like it to be a group decision. So far, 5-yes, zero-no.

5. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    I would even put this HIGH on the list, if I had the power! :D

6. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Yes.. Should be an option to scan.. as it would be nice to still know what is 'available'.. 'avalible' lets coustomer know what to shoot for in antenna install/aiming..

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    The question is not whether or not it should be on the wish list -- it already is -- but if it qualifies as a "missing promised feature", in other words, something which they initially promised would be part of the feature set but haven't implemented, like showcases for example.

8. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I'm going to have to wait on that to see how hard it is to get my OTA until SWM is available. Technically speaking though, if it's in the manual then it should be there.

9. stblake10

stblake10 Godfather

Feb 1, 2007
    I recently purchased a Terk HD indoor antenna (I know what you're going to say about the Terk product, but I wanted to test it) and I went through the guided set up as decribed on pg. 78 of the HR20 manual. Although the guide did display the channels, I got the 771 message on all channels with no picture. I now know I need to get an outdoor antenna. So, I'm not sure if everyone is saying that it does'nt work or not. It worked for me, but no picture. And maybe that's the issue.

10. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I don't have OTA and cannot test it myself, but I have been told by someone that does have OTA that these instructions do not work. There is NO button or menu item for Scanning OTA channels.

11. stblake10

stblake10 Godfather

Feb 1, 2007
    When I followed the instructions at the end, it did go through a scan (the % complete bar) and the channel guide did pick up 20+ channels.

12. stblake10

stblake10 Godfather

Feb 1, 2007
    I'm at work right now. I'll go home and check it out again.

13. Boleyc

Boleyc Legend

Mar 5, 2007
    So you guys are saying when you ran OTA setup it didn't scan for available channels? Strange, as it definitely did for me.

14. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    It doesn't scan it just goes and gets the channel #'s and guide for your zipcode..

15. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Right. It doesn't do a blind scan like your TV or other OTA tuner might.

On the HR20 you tell it your zip code and then it just gets the information about what channels it needs to add in your guide.

On my old E-86 for example you *have* to do an OTA scan. It will then present you with a listing of what channels it finds (at their actual channel assignment no less so most people would have no idea what is what). Then you pick and choose which ones you want in the guide. The guide data is loaded by each channel's PSIP information that comes as part of the digital channel.

The HR20 does not use PSIP information but builds the guide data the same way the sat channels are loaded. The advantage to this is that DirecTV doesn't have to troubleshoot or support a local channels bad PSIP data, in partiular with a DVR. The disadvantage is that you can't manualy tune to fringe stations that perhaps DirecTV doesn't have in their database that you can get or a 3rd market (only 2 markets supported). Also if DirecTV doesn't have any guide data or the correct frequency for a station you can't tune it in either.

Basically I think DirecTV tried to make it more "Joe Sixpack" friendly and less dependent on 3rd parties. But us power users lose some functionality. Thus why I have left my E-86 plugged into OTA despite not using it for DirecTV anymore. Strangely though I do lose guide data though but I don't care as it's not a DVR and I'd use it only if I'm watching something live and the HR20 is busy on both tuners.

16. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    The HR20 does not scan for channels. It shows a list of all the OTA channels it thinks are available in your zip code (or your secondary zip) and then you can deselect the ones you don't get. If a channel is not in the list you can't receive it, so you are completely reliant on the list being correct. This is a problem (a) if the channel you want is missing from the list (big problem with subchannels, because they change) or (b) the channel you want is not in the U.S. anyway so won't be in the list (e.g. Canadian and Mexican channels).

Also if your station is having PSIP issues the HR20 will probably not receive it because it can't map it to the correct channel number (not sure why, by the way, I always though the mapping was built into the guide data and DirecTV did not use the PSIP, but incorrect PSIP data certainly upsets the HR20, and the H20 also). A scan would allow you to see the station on its "actual" frequency - there would be no guide data, but at least you would be able to receive it.

17. Boleyc

Boleyc Legend

Mar 5, 2007
    Ah, I see what you mean. It sure takes a long time if that's all it's doing.

18. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    What it really did was download the guide data from the channel 100 back-channel feed for your DMA based on the Zip Code you entered.

So if your zip matched to the Chicago DMA, it downloaded the Chicago market local HD Guide. It was not scanning to see if it could find Rockford or Milwaukee or any other channels.

The HR20 is supposed to be able to "scan local off-air frequencies" as is listed on page 78 of the D* HR20 manual.

It can't.

I really thought we had found all of the missing promised features. This was sure a big one that a thousand of us missed.

We all should take another lok at the manual to see what else we are missing.

- Craig

19. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I agree this is a missing promised feature. I vote 'add it to the list'!

20. brittonx

brittonx Godfather

Dec 25, 2006
    I voted to switch this to the "Promised Feature" classification.

I'd like to ADD to the wishlist the ability to specify an arbitrary channel and have the HR20 and H20 tune to it.

See: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=83311

This is handy when you live between two different sets of towers from two different DMAs. Your antenna is usually pointed to one or the other so a scan will not pick up both sets of stations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.