1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hr20 with digital cable

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ran025, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ran025

ran025 New Member

Aug 21, 2007
    i have a hr20 and was wanting to route my digital cable to my hr20 by the atsc input to get a guide for my cable locals, is this possible?

2. InterMurph

InterMurph AllStar

Dec 18, 2007
    1) No.

2) Why... Oh never mind. Just no.

Edit: You know what, I should amend this to "I seriously doubt it, but I'm not absolutely certain." Both digital cable and over-the-air antennas use RG6 cabling with F-type connectors, but the similarity ends there. Your digital cable is not sent to your house in ATSC format.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    That's not possible, as the digital cable is very likely QAM coming from the wall and NTSC coming out of the cable box. The HR20 does not decode either.

Congratulations on your first post!

4. Bugg77

Bugg77 AllStar

Jun 26, 2007
    So I'm guessing you goal here is to get the local channels into your HR20 without having to pay D* that extra fee for locals (since you're already paying it to the cable company)? Is that correct?

I'm afraid that the best you could do there is get an OTA set up and pick up the locals that you can.

5. ran025

ran025 New Member

Aug 21, 2007
    yea kinda i already have locals with directtv but they are really not close to me, and i have a bundle package with internet and 67 analog, 15 digital channels, i'm really trying to keep the wife from having to switch from direct to cable inputs and just get them all on the hr20, if i hook the cable into the back of my lcd tv i can get them all, just trying to streamline i guess. thanks

6. boxerriely

boxerriely Cool Member

Sep 30, 2007
    buy a harmony remote one button changes all the inputs to the setup you want.( watch dvd, watch dvr, watch cable tv)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.