1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR21 0x168 Discussion

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - HR21 Discussion (private)' started by Vinny, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Aug 6, 2007 #1 of 49
    Vinny

Vinny New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I thought it might be a good idea to start this thread to discuss impressions; both good and bad after the first weekend of testing the HR21.

1) Aside from the set-up issues most of us seemed to have; namely, changing from 3 LNB to 5 LNB; adding correct zip code and possibly having to do a reset....set-up went pretty smoothly.

2) Sunday night is a busy DVR night for me. Both tuners were recording while watching one show about 15 minutes behind live. After that program, every recording tonight either had picture freeze with audio continuing to be played; or total freeze. Some recordings I could FF a few minutes ahead and it played normal. I was even able to RW back and view the entire recording. Others; would freeze whenever I came out of FF and audio would play. I menu reset enabled me to watch every recording; however, each recording needed to be FF about a minute to come out of a picture freeze or total freeze; even after reset.

3) Others have reported this box being faster than the HR20....I haven't seen that.

4) I have done 3 resets today the last about an hour ago; and I don't think the guide is being cached. I just checked ahead a few days where I previously saw the guide populated earlier today; and now its not.

Feel free to post your impressions and experiences so we can all see how the HR21 is working for each other.

Vinny

2. Aug 6, 2007 #2 of 49
    Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    The HR21 has been more unreliable for me than the HR20 ever was, and I've had the HR20 since the beginning. I'm not complaining though, I signed up for this. My only hope is that through our hard work, we can get the HR21 to a much better state at its release than the HR20 was. :)

And also that DirecTV will let us field test even more future receivers! :D

3. Aug 6, 2007 #3 of 49
    Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    I can lock it up anytime I mess with the advanced network setup or do the 2+ seconds on the info key. I'm leaving the network disconnected and not using the extended info key until we get another release. Otherwise, it has been working okay. Several recordings were successful and played back properly. I'm looking forward to the auto-correction on the FF to be implemented. I've gotten used to that on the HR20.

4. Aug 6, 2007 #4 of 49
    tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I wouldn't say that the box is unreliable as much as I would say the box does have some bugs. I can get lockups going into the info/test menu although not every time. After first installing it, I was at the point of avoiding any menu in the setup. As a DVR it's recording everything I've thrown at it and is playing everything back fine. I think once the firmware gets tweaked and navigation doesn't lock up the box this thing will be ready.

I put this box in my living room, the most watched TV room in the house. I have had zero complaints from my non-techie family which I believe is a good sign. I've come into the room and found the aspect ratio skewed (crop instead of stretched, for example) but I have narrowed that down to a three year old trying to watch something in the playlist. :grin:

5. Aug 6, 2007 #5 of 49
    say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Yeah, I've found things to be buggy and have certainly had to reset this unit far too many times.

So far, it's recorded and played back everything I've asked it to record. Now I do zip through some recordings, but everything looks good. I haven't let the HD fill with recordings yet, but I'm going to see what happens if I start keeping recordings longer.

Using the info key on the remote to access the Info Test results had been locking me up consistently, but since redoing the Sat Setup for a second time, it seems to be behaving. Maybe it's just coincidence and once the unit completed all it's initial activation background activities, the problem cleared. Who knows?

The only other time I needed to reset was this morning when I had a black screen. The unit was responsive to the remote and I could access all the menus, but no TV pic or sound.

I think once we get a better tweaked version of 17E or 184 for this unit, the better it will perform.

6. Aug 6, 2007 #6 of 49
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I have been comparing the HR21 to the HR20, and feel its about 75% of the way where the HR20 is today - not all that bad for out of the box with base firmware for the first round.

I suspect we'll get 3-4 updates here in the near future, and that we'll get up to 90%+ before month end. Hopefully, the D*TV developers from the HR21 and HR20 camps talk to each other and compare notes, so that they can equalize the maturity of the firmware and learn from each other.

7. Aug 6, 2007 #7 of 49
    tfederov

Nov 18, 2005
    Let me ask you guys this.... do you think the HR21 is today running 0x168 is about the same as the HR20 was running 0x168? That was two months ago (I think). My opinion is that it's probably about 90% of where the HR20 was. With the exception of the lockups going to certain parts of the GUI, it's been pretty good.

8. Aug 6, 2007 #8 of 49
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I'd agree its off to a pretty good start, but with a number of lockup situations and reboots, as well as some features that plain don't work yet (eSata, for example), there's still a little way to go...all in all not bad for the first pass though.

My ranking is 75-80% of where HR20 is today.

9. Aug 6, 2007 #9 of 49
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I don't think the HR21 at x168 is the same as the HR20 at x168. The HR20 at x168 was more stable than the HR21 is now. However I do not think that the HR21 is lagging too far behind where the HR20 was at x168.

There were no real HDMI issues with the HR20 at x168, in fact I have never had an HDMI issue on any of my HR20's, but with the HR21 it doesn't seem to like my Toshiba TV. Because of that I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the x168 on our HR21's is not the same x168 that was on the HR20's.

10. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    They're close, but not quite. I'm not sure I can quantify the differences to say it's 75% or 90% of where the HR20 was, I just know it's different. I think part of the problem is that there are enough differences in the chip sets used and hardware that you're seeing similar problems with different causes in the HR21 version of 168 than the HR20 version. Sort of like running a new device with old drivers, sure it worked on the old device and it probably will work on the new device, but until you update the driver, you're going to have issues.

The other thing is, we have varying issues reported by each user - some differences could be based on individual perception/criteria, individual usage, varying setup configurations, or just manufacturing quirks in each machine.

For me, I never had a BSOD with the HR20 on 168 (I think I only had one and that was ages ago) but I've had one on the HR21 along with other lockups caused by the Info Test being accessed via the info button on the remote. I think we're close, but STABILITY is going to be a major element of the next update.

11. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I'm going to have to say, no....So far every recording I tried to watch starts ok, then freezes after about 3 seconds. I have to either RW or FF to get it to play; and then it plays to the end flawlessly. I never had that experience with the HR20; and I've had it 11 months.

I don't have lock-ups hitting the info key. My only issue (as of now) is the playing back of recordings.

12. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Has anyone else experienced the recording issue I have reported?

The issue is:

When highlighting a program on the list then hitting play; the recording starts either without sound or starts with sound then freezes. After hitting replay, RW or FF everything is ok.

13. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I don't have the HR21, but based on what I'm seeing here, it sounds like the HR21 is in need of some serious work before final release. It really sounds more like January/February/March time frame. Remember 0x168 was the NR on the HR20 until recently. That was a really stable release.

What's probably happened is that the new chipset is introducing some different challenges. You'll also remember that 0x173 was rolled back to 0x172. That may have been an even nastier problem. I'm sure the Dev Team is working hard on getting a solution. I know you guys aren't complaining because it is, after all, a field trial. Hopefully in the next few days or weeks they will have a better version out so you can find some new bugs :lol:.

It's a good thing that anticipation for the HR21 is so much lower than anticipation for the HR20 was a year ago.

14. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I certainly haven't experienced anything like this yet. I haven't spent a lot of time with my HR21 yet - set up Friday and was gone most of Sat & Sun - but of the recordings I made, they played fine.

15. tfederov

Nov 18, 2005
    Haven't come across that one yet.

16. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    So, who's going to test closed captioning for me? :)

Although, my guess is that I'll hear that it's okay, but placement (too far left) will still be off. ;)

17. tfederov

Nov 18, 2005
    Does it work with HDMI? If so, let me know what you want tested and I'll try it when I get home.

18. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    It does because the unit is rendering the captions, not the TV. I've seen mixed results on the HR20 when checking out CC. The locals in mpeg-4 seemed to be the worst.

Haven't given it a look yet on the HR21, but it's on my list of things to check out.

19. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    What say-what said. :)

It's not a TV setting, but an HR-21 setting.

But if you're not used to watching CC, you probably won't know quite how well/poorly CC is working.

20. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I reported this above as well as in the issues thread. I just tried something and think I may have narrowed down what is happening. Please read below and maybe see if you could duplicate what I have reported below.......thanks!!!!

I began recording ABC MPEG 4 on tuner 1. Then began recording NBC MPEG 4 on tuner 2. I let them record for about 30 minutes. While viewing tuner 2 live, I selected the recording from tuner 1 (ABC) and it started and froze....then hit RW and Play....and it played. I then selected the recording on tuner 2 (NBC) while viewing tuner 2 (NBC) and that recording played perfectly. I then changed channels to tuner 1 (ABC) then selected from the list the recording of the ABC program; and that played perfectly from the start. I stayed live on tuner 1 (ABC) and selected the recording from NBC (tuner2) and it started and froze.

Seems to me, if you are currently watching tuner 1 and select a recording that was recorded using tuner 1; it will play fine. Conversely, if you are currently watching tuner 2 and select a recording that was recorded on tuner 1; the recording will start then freeze.