1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR21-100 eSata External Seagate problem?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Ben Ber, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Ben Ber

Ben Ber New Member

Dec 23, 2008
    I have an HR21-100 and just purchased and installed an ULTRA enclosure with a Seagate 1.5TB ATA HD. The installation was easy and it worked perfect the first time. It worked great for 4 days of non-stop recording, mostly HD stuff to really test the reliablity. I was up to 5% full (95% available).

Then on the morning of the 5th day the Now playing list was empty. I followed the correct procedure to see if the internal drive still had the original recordings and settings and it was just as I had left it 5 days earlier.

I switched back to the Seagate/Ultra and although it records and stores the recordings, I had lost 4 days of recordings. I switched back and forth several times and the internal works, but the external was empty except for the few things I recorded after the wipeout.

Anyone know if this is common for the HR-21? I have read the other posts and most people are concerned with restoring the internal drive. My problem is the opposite. I can't trust the external eSata setup. Please help.....

2. Ben Ber

Ben Ber New Member

Dec 23, 2008
    I believe I found the answer to my own problem shortly after posting. Last night there was an upgrade (Favorites List) and D* reset my HR21-100. If you just shut everthing down and plug it back in, everthing on external eSata drive will work ok. However, if you do it through the menu system, the system reformats your drive. I believe it is a simple software problem that D* has to fix. Since you have 3 choices when you reset by menu such as 1. Simple restart 2. Reset Defaults. 3. Restore to original. However when you choose Simple restart, it actually does #3 (Restore- reformat). When I chose 1. Restart the screen said "just a few moments" , then it said "reformating hard drive", I knew everthing would be gone on the external hard drive and thats what happened last night as well when D* added the new software and rebooted my HR21-100.