1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR21-200 VERY Sluggish

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by MadMac, Jul 30, 2010.

1. MadMac

MadMac Legend

Feb 18, 2008
    This one has been getting progressively worse - response to commands from the remote takes several seconds. Any known issues/fixes?

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Have you done a restart from the menu?

3. MadMac

MadMac Legend

Feb 18, 2008
    As yet, no. I'll try that over the weekend.

4. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I'd do it now. It'll only take a few minutes.

5. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    Reset restart does not help. The HR21-200 has an inherent problem. I have an HR21-700 too, and it has no slow down issues. I have tried keeping my hard drive at 80% available space, but it does not help. There have been many members report this problem. I hope someone finds a solution to the slooooooooooooooow HR21-200.

6. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    There is a model ID & battery condition code the remote control emits along with button presses that can be turned off. This my or may not help with slowing of remote response.

Try this: Hold Mute and Select at the same time until the green light flashes twice at the top of the remote
    >Press 9-6-3 >green light will flash twice again
    >press the channel down key>green light will flash twice again

I found all kinds of suggestions in this thread: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=1947676#post1947676

Keep HDD space available above 30% (especially eSata)
    Limit SL's on slower models
    Replace remote control batteries
    Use RF mode
    Dump Guide cache' by forcing 2 menu restarts within 30 minutes (preferably at bedtime)
    hope for another f/w roll
    And some humorous dialogue exchanges...

7. MadMac

MadMac Legend

Feb 18, 2008
    I don't have the remote to hand, and I don't think it works from 50 miles away anyway :)

In any event, did it this morning, and it seems to have helped. I may try some of the other ideas.