1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR21-700 acting strangely

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Gary16, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Gary16

Gary16 Mentor

Oct 8, 2006
    Twice in the last couple of weeks my HR21-700 has rebooted on its own. On several other occasions including today it has stopped reacting to any commands either via remote or directly on the receiver. In a couple of instances the "freeze-up" has occurred with the unit on. The only way I knew something was wrong was when I couldn't change the channel. Today and also the other day when I went to turn the unit on, it wouldn't turn on -- even when pushing the power button directly on the unit. I had to push the reset button both time to get it to come to life but of course had to go through the complete cycle including downloading from the satellite.
    This particular unit is hooked to an external hard drive which remains on all the time so I'm assuming that cannot be part of the problem. Should I try forcing a download (02468)? If I have to have to unit replaced I would lose all of the recordings that I have stored.

2. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    HR21's are about 4 years old. It's possible its starting to fail and you have an early warning. Since you have an ext drive, if could even be your drive that is the problem. You could disconnect it, and run it on the internal drive for a while to see.

Unfortunately if you call Directv and you get a replacement all your recordings are lost since the replacement DVR will not allow you to see the stored items on that drive.

3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    What kind of external device have you got? The weakest link in an external setup is the external device itself, then the HDD.

When you reset the HR did you power off the external device too? The proper sequence is to pull the plug on both the HR and the external device and wait a minute or so and then plug in the external device and give it a minute to spin up and then plug in the HR. You shouldn't be using the red button with an external device hooked up to the HR.

Rich

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Unless the unit is unresponsive of course. If the remote is working to control the unit, you should always use the menu restart.

5. Gary16

Gary16 Mentor

Oct 8, 2006
    Thanks. Today it started randomly freezing while watching a recording then did the sane thing watching TCM on about a ten minute delay. I'm doing your suggested reboot now to see if that corrects anything

6. Gary16

Gary16 Mentor

Oct 8, 2006
    I revolted twice as suggested by unPlugging both the external drive and the box. The external drive by the way is a 1tb drive from Weaknees that I bought when I bought the box (I have never used the internal drive).
    First time after the reboots the video was slightly jerky but after the second time everything started Playing fine with no freezes or other issues. Unfortunately when I just went back to check on things and it's still playing fine but the box is once again not responding to the remote or to any of the buttons on the unit itself. Should I try running the box with the internal drive and see what happens or just give up?

7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You could try that. I've had that happen and did that and it reacted the same way. Using that red button to reboot with the external drive running might have screwed up something in the HR itself. But try it and if it works get a new external setup. Give the internal drive a couple days and at the first sign of problems such as you're experiencing, give up and get a replacement. And stay away from that red button.

Rich

8. Gary16

Gary16 Mentor

Oct 8, 2006
    Thanks. I'm just curious about the red button with an external drive. What exactly makes it a problem?

9. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    pull the power cord on your pc a few too many times, same thing.

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Your main problem was using the red button while the external device was still plugged in. I don't think the red button gives you the same kind of reboot that pulling the plug does.

Rich

11. Gary16

Gary16 Mentor

Oct 8, 2006
    Since the unit continued to freeze up, I disconnected the external hard drive Monday night and rebooted with the internal drive (which I had never used). As of this morning the unit has been working perfectly. No freeze ups or being unresponsive. No problems with trick play, etc.
    So at this point I will try hooking up the external drive one last time and if the problems start occuring again I will assume that the external drive is failing.
    The question then is, do I send it back to Weaknees (it's several years old) and see if they can salvage the recordings by migrating to a new external drive or do I just take the loss of the recordings and get a new external drive locally?

12. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Personally, I'd take the loss of the recordings. A flaky drive is not the best thing to ship anyway.

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You should try a new enclosure first. Might be all that's wrong with it. The external devices are the weakest links, not the HDDs. Try an Antec MX-1 or a Thermaltake docking station. If that solves the problem, you'll keep your recordings.

Rich

14. Gary16

Gary16 Mentor

Oct 8, 2006
    Worth a try. Thanks.

15. Gary16

Gary16 Mentor

Oct 8, 2006
    I ordered the Antec MX-1 and received it Friday. I installed the external drive in it and rebooted to the drive Friday night. As of Sunday evening, it's working! I'm giving it at least a week before I can feel comfortable that it solved the problem but so far so good. I never would have thought to do this without your recommendation. Many thanks.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I hope it keeps working. Stay in touch.

Rich