1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR21-700; Hung but not sure where it goes

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - HR21 Discussion (private)' started by Earl Bonovich, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Oct 8, 2007 #1 of 14
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Just to report it...

I haven't gotten the last few updates... so that was the first problem.
    I was still on 0x192 last time I checked....

Son woke me up this morning, as the unit wasn't working.
    Frozen screen... no UI interaction... did a reboot... system went straight to a 0x103 download... which it did successfully (I didn't force it).

Not sure how long it was frozen for... as I wasn't home most of the weekend, and used the HR20-700 to watch the Bears game when I did get home.

2. Oct 8, 2007 #2 of 14
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Sorry to hear you hangup on the HR21 - this is the same set of symptoms several of us have reported with the 0103 update as well.

It seems to randomly lock up when left on standby. I had 3 of these lockups in 1 week, 2 with 0103 and 1 previously with 0192.

As reported elsewhere, 0103 also knocked out all of my network/Internet connectivity for the first time (others also expereinced that hiccup).

Looks like there's still some work to be done with the updates from a stability standpoint.

3. Oct 8, 2007 #3 of 14
    LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Interesting. I have had NO lockups from standby in the last several updates. I get odd networking errors followed by a refusal to do a menu reset, or else the "gray screen bug" reported last night (and seen in every version since 0x168 I think) where I can hear snippets of sound but no picture or frozen picture, and changing channels brings the gray screen; with this as well the box refuses to do a menu reset.

The HR21 is clearly still a work in progress. :)

4. Oct 8, 2007 #4 of 14
    Smuuth

Smuuth Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2005
    I have had what I believe to be some success in reducing the lockups by two things which may or may not be significant for others: 1) I connected via component and RCA audio instead of HDMI, and 2) I disconnected my network from the HR21.

I realize those are not good long-term solutions, and if they are actual factors somehow responsible for the freeze ups of the DVR, then it is important for some of us to continue to use them so that DIRECTV can determine why and how they affect the functioning of the unit.

5. Oct 8, 2007 #5 of 14
    jheda

jheda DBSTalk Club Member

Sep 19, 2006
    My situation was similiar; as i was away when i returned yesterday and turned on the tv that channel did play; but the remote was unresponsive and coudlnt change channels, bring up menu, etc. Performed a RBR and 103 downloaded successfully.

6. Oct 8, 2007 #6 of 14
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    My guess is that it was "hung" on the reset command from the older version...
    Not because of some other event

Hence why I can't put it in the 0x103 issue thread...

The HR21 does it job, far more often then it doesn't... and basically since the latest round of updates... done it just as well.

So my guess is that this is something with the older version, not restarting properly....

7. Oct 8, 2007 #7 of 14
    LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    I have been connected via component for quite some time - I did flirt with HDMI for awhile but had a bunch of lockups that may or may not have been related (in retrospect, probably not) so I returned to component after about a week. Audio has always been digital optical. I am networked however, and do note that network problems seem to happen whenever the box is getting wonky, though cause or effect I do not know. I don't use Media Share all that much so I'm tempted to unplug the cable until VOD is enabled but as you say, it's just a work-around. It may not even make any difference at all.

8. Oct 8, 2007 #8 of 14
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I got my first hangups when they started to push out the last 2-3 updates with the HR21 on standby....

The one time I left it on...no hangup...

9. Oct 8, 2007 #9 of 14
    Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Same here. And when I did have lockups, they weren't exactly from Standby, it was usually the first "trickplay" used after coming out of standby.

10. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Ironicaly mine has never locked up while on.. It's always when left off over night..

11. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    I think the menu reset problem is key to many of the things we are seeing. In a computer system (DTV boxes are computers), there are events that are called system interrupts. These interrupts can be as benign as getting a time of day update or as severe as forcing a system reboot. Ther are usually three types of these interrupts. Hardware (RBR is one of those along with fatal hardware errors) which are essentially unstoppable. Ther are two type of software interreupts, maskable and un-maskable. Maskable ones are those which you usually turn on and turn off according to what you are doing so someone doesn't inadvertantly mess up sequence. Un-maskable are those that once they are triggered, act just like hardware interrupts. It appears that the sequence for the menu reset is either in a masked state (disabled) or the key sequence is somehow being blocked. In any case this should be SW debug effort. Once they get a code tracer on it, they should be able to figure out how it got there and get a fix inplace.

Come on guys, Time to earn those big $$$ DTV is paying you.

bob

12. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Mine was hung similarly several days ago, but has been fine since then.

13. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Same thing happened with mine for 102 and 103. I think it has something to do with the issue of the HR21 not responding to a menu reboot. I also got stuck at 100% download of 103. For some reason I think the HR21 is having a problem rebooting itself.

14. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    I have had no unattended lockups, and I have both HDMI and networking.