1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR21-700 problems. Surface test is running now

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by statik, Dec 6, 2012.

1. statik

statik Mentor

Jan 29, 2008
    My HR21-700 has been rebooting about once per hour (or more) for the last 2 days.
    And intermittent freezing for a week or 2 before this.
    Tried all resets and updates. Same problem.
    Did SHORT SMART test: FAILED x77

Now running surface test and not looking so good. Bah. First world problems. :/

[​IMG][/IMG]

2. ikoniq

ikoniq Cool Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Yeah. Not sure why it happens, except for, of course, bad sectors on the HDD. I know STB Engineering is working on getting a fix out, and that it's happening to all HDDVRs except for the HR34-700 and the HR20, but there's no end in sight, as far as they're letting us know. I can't imagine a software patch fixing these though...
    I need to go to bed. Damn, it'll be nice to have work off tomorrow.

3. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    Not sure where you get this info, it's almost certainly incorrect. The failure on this test is a clear indication that the disk is failing and the DVR will need to be replaced. No fix, hardware or software.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Call DirecTV for a replacement receiver. The error code 77 says the hard drive needs replacing.

5. ikoniq

ikoniq Cool Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    I get it from CADIEs.

6. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    OK I give what is CADIEs?

A hdd with bad sectors or issues in general is a hdd that is on its way out.....especially in my dvr.