1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR21 auto paused a movie. Why?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by allenn, Jan 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 3, 2008 #1 of 12
    allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    I recorded Taledega Nights. After 1 hour and 29 minutes into the movie, it went into a pause. I could not reverse past the point of the pause. I could fast forward past the pause or restart the movie, but it stop at the same point again. What caused the problem, and how do I get around it?:confused:

Also, everytime I record a movie the buffer starts over on the channel I am watching. Is this normal for an HR21? This sort of sucks!

2. Jan 3, 2008 #2 of 12
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    The pause - I did have a similar problem once but not recently.

As far as your second question, I don't understand.

3. Jan 4, 2008 #3 of 12
    allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    Example: I am watching TWCHD which is being buffered; A scheduled movie or program on the To Do List starts recording; the buffer for the TWCHD is cleared.

4. Jan 4, 2008 #4 of 12
    jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    The HR2X series only has a single buffer......once you start to record something the buffer goes away because you are recording something on it. You still have the second tuner but it will be live only. Thats why if you want to watch two things at once and not miss anything one of the workarounds it to record both things and flip back and forth.

5. Jan 4, 2008 #5 of 12
    SFS97

SFS97 Legend

Sep 12, 2006
    I don't believe this to be true...

6. Jan 4, 2008 #6 of 12
    jodyguercio

Aug 16, 2007
    It is true...the HR10-250 has two 30 min buffers and the HR20/21 series has one 90 min buffer.....do a search or ask any one of the mods if I am telling you a lie.

Anyone want to back me up on this or tell me I am wrong?

7. Jan 4, 2008 #7 of 12
    tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I just ran a couple tests.

Watching NFLHD replay of Super Bowl III. Have about 5 minutes in the buffer.

Test 1:

Hit record button.

Buffer stays. Bar changes from green to orange to indicate I am watching something I am recording. Stopped the recording using the record button and chose Stop and delete. Buffer stayed. Bar changed back to green.

Buffer did not dump.

Test 2:

Set up a manual recording on NHL channel to start in 2 minutes. It started, buffer for NFL channel stayed.

Test 3:

While NHL is recording in background and leaving NFL on screen, set manual recording for NFL channel to start in 2 minutes (buffer is still intact from first 2 tests). Program started recording. Buffer stayed. Bar stayed green as I am watching the live version, not the recorded version of the channel.

This was on an HR20-100 running latest CE software. It may depend on what software you are running but I don't recall ever dumping the buffer of what I was watching. Recordings normally go to the background tuner.

8. Jan 4, 2008 #8 of 12
    SFS97

SFS97 Legend

Sep 12, 2006
    Ok, maybe I misread the post. But the HR2X should have 2 buffers, but only 1 Live buffer. If I am watching xx channel for 45 mins and something starts recording on a different channel, The buffer on the channel I am watching live should stay and does on my HR20-700.

9. Jan 4, 2008 #9 of 12
    jodyguercio

Aug 16, 2007
    Well then that makes two people who have proved me wrong...but this then makes me think that the HR20/21 has DLB capability. If you can watch one thing and record another and still be able to back up the live show that to me sounds like DLB as I know it...

10. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    Thanks for the test, but I have an HR21-700 with x193 release. I ran a test of my own, and I duplicated my original results. I was watching a program that had 30 minutes of buffer. A movie began to record on another channel. The buffer cleared on the program I was watching. Maybe this will be fixed for an HR21 in a future release?????

11. dtrell

dtrell Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    it paused on that movie because it sucks, and the box finally threw up on itself and just couldnt go on...LMAO

12. kcorth

kcorth Cool Member

Dec 29, 2007

I had this problem and others have also reported it. I believe it's a bad sector on your hard drive, although I admit that's a guess. I got a replacement HR21 and have not had the problem recur.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.