1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR21...can one tuner get weak and die?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by peters4n6, Dec 19, 2008.

1. peters4n6

peters4n6 Legend

Jun 19, 2007
    setup is hr21 via SWM8. Tuner 2 signal strength strong and steady @ 90+%; Tuner 1 fluctuates wildly between 74 and 85%. As a result I get a lot of pixellation and dropouts of channels. I have two other HR21 units in the house with solid signal strengths so it's not a global problem. Since there is only one RG6 coming into the back of the HR21 and the signal is split internally, mustn't the ONLY problem be a bad tuner in the box?

eric

2. cmtar

cmtar Icon

Nov 16, 2005
    could be the LNB or cables but to answer your question can a tuner die, i would say yes.

3. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Not likely to be an LNB issue if the signal strengths on the rest of your boxes are fine and it's only one tuner on the affected box that has issues.

You could try powering down the entire system (all receivers and the SWM), powering on the SWM and then individually booting each box several minutes apart to make sure there's nothing wonky going on with the SWM control channel and communications between it and the affected receiver. If that doesn't clear it up, I'd suspect you do have a hardware issue with your tuner on that receiver.

4. awoehler

awoehler AllStar

Jan 2, 2008
    my HR20-100S died in the same way. They did the LNB's first, then checked the cables, and in the end I got a brand new HR23.

5. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Definitely the Tuners can die or start malfunctioning. LNBs can die also but it is not an LNB problem but a Tuner Malfunction.

6. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    +1. This is a good place to start.

7. peters4n6

peters4n6 Legend

Jun 19, 2007

Thanks to everyone for your prompt responses. I, too, think this is unlikely to be an LNB issue with the other 5 of the 6 tuners (3 total HR21 units) steady at 90+% signal strengths. I will power everything down including the SWM8 power as you suggested to see what happens. From a technical sense, I don't see how it can be anything other than a bad tuner. Am I being too simplistic about this...if one RG6 cable comes into the HR21 and the signal is split internally with one signal being fine and the other not... it just has to be the tuner itself, no?

Tried to handle the problem last night with Directv tech support but they were *updating* their computers/datatbase so they couldn't help me. Will try again when I get home. Does anyone have any advice about how to talk to them so they just send out a new unit rather than needing to send out a tech? (do they mail out new units nowadays? or must a tech deliver one?)

8. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Definitely try that. It may solve the problem.

I agree with your hypothesis. Since you are on a SWM, if one tuner is fine and the other is not, I can't see it being anything outside oft he IRD.

It's very likely that they will want to send a tech. While "we" have the knowledge and experience to deduce that the problem is most likely a bad receiver, D* has to assume that customers are uninformed and helpless. Their CSR's likely have no idea about SWM vs. not, so they will assume it's most likely and infrastructure problem. About the only time you can guarantee a shipped replacement is if the receiver producing smoke and sparks when you turn it on.

9. peters4n6

peters4n6 Legend

Jun 19, 2007
    Hat-Tip to LameLefty. I powered everything down and after firing everything up the *dead/dying* tuner is now performing rock-solid in the 90s on signal strength. Go figure! Let's see if it remains that way.

10. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Hope things keep working well for you. I had an issue the other night when I accidentally hit the circuit breaker on the surge suppressor my PI was plugged into for my SWM8. Oops. Two of the three boxes I have running off it were fine but one got fubar'd and I was getting 771 errors on tuner 2. I reset everything (on all boxes, just to be safe) and it all came back fine.

11. seern

seern Active Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Glen Allen, VA
    My HR21-700 starting loosing tuner 2. I would do a rbr and get it back for a while and it would go again. I switched the cables and bbcs in the back to see if it was a feed issue and that did nothing. I called tech support to get a new unit and they wanted to roll a truck. Told me that since I had done the rbr they couldn't do anything until it happened again. They wanted me to wait with a bum tuner until MasTech could get a tech here. I asked for retention and explained it to them nicely with Verizon Fios mentioned in the conversation and got a new unit shipped.