1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR21 how to access second tuner?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Jaseun, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaseun

Jaseun New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Hi,

I just 'upgraded' from a Sony Sat-T60 to a HR21-700. I was a big user of the second tuner. I commonly would watch one tuner up to the commercial break, pause, switch to the second tuner and start watching a different program.

Leapfrogging so to speak. It seems there is no way to 'watch' the second tuner, only record. Anyone else notice this? very dissappointing. -Jason

2. belunos

belunos AllStar

Oct 5, 2007
    Welcome to the board, and welcome to what is probably the longest running complaint ;-)

There's a workaround for what you're wanting, but I never bothered to learn it. Check the tips and tricks thread

3. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Welcome to DBSTalk Jaseun

As belunos said you are talking about DLB (Dual Live Buffers) and it is a feature that a lot of people want but there is no word if it will ever happen.

There is a work around like he said. It is not the greatest thing in the world but it may help you some.

Record both shows. Go into "My Playlist" and play one of them. Then bring up "My Playlist" again and select the other one to play. Then you can use the previous button to flip back and forth between the two.

4. Jaseun

Jaseun New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    ugh... so I'm paying more (much more) per month and losing features too? I'll be calling DirecTV tomorrow and seking them to take this POS back unless I can properly 'upgrade' not transition to a different receiver. -Jason

5. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    The process BMoreRavens provided does work, it just requires a little more work.

Good luck with your endeavor.

6. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas

Do as you wish, but I can tell you having come from D*Tivo's recently that the HR20 has a lot of features that the D*Tivo's never had. You may be losing that one feature (which I enjoyed too), but you're gaining a lot more.

Don't lose sight of the forest for the trees.

7. funners

funners AllStar

Aug 26, 2007
    HONESTLY im not stupid but how the heck do you post a new thread on here??? this is easily the worst site for this..... im not stupid and EVERY site til this one was easy to know how to post..... i must myself be missing the forest for the trees

8. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Are you clicking "New Posts" at the top of the screen?

If so you need to go to the bottom right of the screen and select a forum. After you do that in the top left of the next screen you will see an option to start new thread.

9. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Well, all DVR's currently manufactured and offered by DirecTV (HR20 and HR21) have the same feature set, meaning no dlb. But no dlb does not equate to POS. The HR20/21 are very good and very capable dvrs with feature sets different that what you are used to.

If you want to watch the new HD channels, then these are the only DVR options.

10. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Lets see...DLB or 70+ HD channels....DLB or 70+HD channels.:confused:

I'll take the 70+HD channels thank you. :D

11. Jaseun

Jaseun New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    True, admitadly I'm only 3 hours into my new experience. I'll give it some time. Really enjoying the HD content though. -Jason

12. mikehome

mikehome Mentor

May 28, 2006
    I was a die hard tivo fan.. but a few weeks with my HR20.... don't miss it a bit. Actually think its more resposive and a little more polished

13. Jaseun

Jaseun New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    OK!! I'm convinced and never looking back. I'm not happy about another 5.99 lease fee but this DVR is pretty damn slick. Sorry I sounded all Debby Downer at first. I need to get this thing hooked up to the internet, I hear directv on demand is going live soon. -Jason

14. mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Yes, and that is a pretty cool feature. I use it on the HR20 and loving it. You will also be able to get on the internet and if you forget to record a show on your receiver log in and tell it to record it from work or where ever you have internet access. That is also coming soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.