1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR21 Networking Trouble

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Lowkey, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Lowkey

Lowkey Cool Member

May 31, 2008
    I have a "new" HR21 and I'm trying to get my network connected again. I just had the old HR21 replaced due to a serious malfunction. I had only recently managed to get that one connected to my home network and I loved being able to view my recorded shows on my laptop from anywhere in the house. I did nothing to actively set up the old dvr on my network other than connecting the ethernet cable. It just appeared one day when I was browsing my network with my laptop. I picked up the Directv2pc app and loved it. Now...new dvr and no ethernet connection. I've tried entering the network info manually through advanced setup as well as using the auto connection values. Nothing works and the ethernet ports do not light up on the new receiver like on the old one. I've tried both ports...the old one used port 2.
    `All that said...is there a way to get the ethernet ports to "turn on"? I know there is the new MRV option but I really don't need that yet as I am planning on upgrading in the future. Here's as much info as I can think to offer if there's anything else let me know and I'll provide any data I can.

HR21-200 0x3de
    Win 7 Laptop
    DSL Router Actiontec GT series (i think)

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Generally, you use Ethernet Port 1 (although some receivers do use Port 1). As for the port not lighting up, that is an issue. That means that it does not see a connection with the cable at all. This could be due to a bad cable, bad port, or a bad port on the other end of the cable. If you rule out the cable and the other port, then it is most likely an issue with the ethernet port on the receiver.

If you get the MRV upgrade, as the ethernet port is needed fo rthe HR21, they would swap out your receiver for a working model.

- Merg

3. Lowkey

Lowkey Cool Member

May 31, 2008
    Thanks for the info. I'll try swapping out the cable. I know it worked with the other dvr but it could have been part of the trouble in getting that one connected as well.

4. Lowkey

Lowkey Cool Member

May 31, 2008
    Update...swapped ethernet cables and now I have internet access but I can't get DirecTv2PC to work again. Do I have to reinstall since I have a new receiver? Feel free to move this thread if necessary.