1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR21-Pro Update Problem -- Help!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Stanley Kritzik, Dec 18, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Stanley Kritzik

Stanley Kritzik Legend

Aug 4, 2005
    My HR21-Pro is trying to download new software -- 02AF -- and the download is slow as can be; maybe 5% per minute. But, at some spot or other around 50%, it loses its mind and starts over at 0%. It's been in this mode for some hours, now, and I've tried everything I can think of -- RBR, pull he power, etc., but I can't get it to comlete.

Advice, please, would be appreciated.

Stan

2. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Restart the machine either through the menu or with a the red button in the front. If that doesn't help try pulling the plug and giving it a few minutes before powering back up.

3. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    If leaving it unplugged for an extended period try forcing the download.

4. idigg

idigg Legend

May 8, 2008
    Give it to me, I'm in Milwaukee to.

5. Stanley Kritzik

Stanley Kritzik Legend

Aug 4, 2005
    Thanks for the advice. I've tried all sorts of stuff -- RBR, unplug, etc. My last gasp chance is to leave it unplugged a long time, and then go forward from there. My contact with DirecTV was predictably mediocre -- even though I own the unit, and have support paid for on all my units, I got an iffy comment regarding the nature of a possible replacement box. And, at this time of the year, with lots of snow coming, well.... we will see.

Stan

6. idigg

idigg Legend

May 8, 2008
    Did you unplug the unit while it was in the process of the upgrade? Maybe it is fried?

7. Stanley Kritzik

Stanley Kritzik Legend

Aug 4, 2005
    I'm sure that at some point I unplugged it, but all it was doing was downloading "stuff". Now, if that's enough to fry a unit, could be. One would think that the download would be held until it all got there. After all, the unit should be able to tolerate power failures, etc. It still will RBR the older version, but it just won't download the new one, even though it keeps on trying.

I'm getting a bit weary, but I'll try a few more times.

Stan

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    If I've followed your posts [correctly], you've never gotten to 90% of the download, which means you CAN'T have "toasted" your receiver.

There is a national release that your receiver has been trying to download.
    "At this point", I'd pull the power cord and let it sit for a hour [or longer]. Then check that the dish doesn't have snow/ice build up on it and plug it back in and see what happens.

9. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Do you have an SWM setup? If so, you should unplug all of your receivers connected to the SWM .. power cycle (unplug/replug) the SWM .. Then restart your HR21-Pro first. Once that is back to normal (which I'm hoping will be the case here :)), you can restart your other receivers.

10. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Oh, and yeah, if snow is covering your dish, that could be a problem.

11. Stanley Kritzik

Stanley Kritzik Legend

Aug 4, 2005
    Well, before the snow falls, I'm going to take everyone's advice, and see if I can get this guy back in business. I never got to more than 50% of the download done, and with an RBR I can get the older software working (until it tries to download the new stuff). Also, I do have a SWM, so maybe getting it all reset and restarted will do the trick.

I'll know more in a few hours. Thanks for all the good advice!

Stan

12. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Sounds like a signal problem with the 101° location.

So check the connectors on the SWM and Slimline, especially the 101° ones; the connectors between SWM and receiver (and any splitters in the stream); make certain all splitters are rated 2MHz to 2GHz, no duplexers are in the path, etc.

Good luck,
    Tom

13. Stanley Kritzik

Stanley Kritzik Legend

Aug 4, 2005
    So, I tried things one at a time:

Transponder 25 on 101 was 80 -- good

After a night unplugged, the update got to 90% and then started over -- rats.

Turning off all boxes and unplugging the SWM8 and HR21 did it. The SWM8 was plugged back in, and then the HR21 was restarted. First, the firmware upgraded to 02AF! Then, the system found my OTA channels in Milwaukee. Net result, the HR21 with OTA is back in business.

My theory is that the HR21 and SWM8 were somehow out of synch., which blocked the update, and it went downhill from there. I suppose it could have been bad for some time, and the update brought it to light.

Anyway, thanks to all you loyal participants for the really good, useful suggestions. I always -- always -- do better here than calling you-know-who!

Stan

14. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    Glad you got it working again! I think Tom was on to something in relation to the SWM...I'll have to put that one in the back of my mind as another solution. ;)

15. Stanley Kritzik

Stanley Kritzik Legend

Aug 4, 2005
    I think the SWM/HR21 mismatch could have been there for a long time, and so long as there was no update, I was in blissful ignorance. The update smoked the situation out.

Maybe a general house-wide power failure would have reset everything, but in the metro Milwaukee area, with We Energy doing a good job, the PFs are relatively rare.

Anyway, on a very snowy, stay-at-home day (a broom visit already to the dish!), I'm enjoying the D* programming.

Stan

16. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    You also might have had "static electricity buildup" which can interfere with the Download Process and by unplugging everything you dissipate the stored up electrical buildup that can allow you to have a complete download.