1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR21 recording picture issue

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by robertr2112, Sep 19, 2011.

1. robertr2112

robertr2112 Cool Member

Feb 24, 2007
    I've got a question about some problems I'm having with my HR21/700 receiver. I am using a SLIM 5 non-SWM antennae and an 8 port SWM switch in the house.

When I record HD programming or rewind an HD channel the reciever starts responding very slowly, including picture and sound breakup. Sometimes it's to the point where it's unwatchable. When watching the same channel live there is no problem. It's only a problem during playback of HD channels.

I'm fairly confident it's a receiver related problem because I have another HD receiver(HR20) on the same setup and have not seen these problems.

I'm trying to decide whether there is anything I can do to fix the issue or if I need to talk to Directv about replacing the reciever.

Thanks!

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It sounds like your hard drive is failing given that it plays fine until the hard drive comes into play.

Repair service is not offered.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "If it were me":
    I'd find some time when I could let it run without needing it, and reboot it and before it started up, I'd hold the record & down arrow [both] on the front panel, until I saw the record light come on, then release.
    This should have brought up a diskscan screen, where it is going to run for almost three hours [or more] and do everything it can to repair the drive without losing any recordings. It might stop early with an error code, and then "you know" you need to get it replaced. If it runs through the whole test and you still have problems, then you know you've done all you could and it still needs replacement.
    I've done this test and had "good luck" with my 5 year old HR20.

4. robertr2112

robertr2112 Cool Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Would the hard drive failing also explain why the receiver becomes unresponsive or extremely slow to respond? Is there a log you can get access to see if the kernel is constantly responding to disk errors?

I'm running the scandisk so we'll see what that tells us?