1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR21 Slow to start up!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Bofurley, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Bofurley

Bofurley Godfather

Oct 11, 2006
    KS
    When I power up my HR21, it takes almost a minute before the picture qctually shows up on the TV!
    This has just started.

2. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Why would you Power Off your DVR into a Standby Mode anyway?

The only thing that does is turn off the lights and the outputs.

3. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Is it connected to the TV via HDMI? It may be an HDMI handshake problem or bad HDMI cable.

What do the lights on the front panel do during this time you are waiting?

4. gfrang

gfrang Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    Try a red button reset.

5. pelley

pelley Cool Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Actually I've noticed this problem yesterday and today also-- both on my HR22 and HR21. It's not HDMI related because I can see the guide and other menus, although they are very slow. No error codes appear on screen; it's just black. After changing channels for a minute or two, it seems to wake up and then I get a picture. Haven't tried a reboot yet. Came here to see what might be going on.

6. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    You need to do a Menu Restart to Reboot your DVR. This is Preferred over the Red Button Reset as it performs a "Graceful Shutdown of All Activities and Tasks" prior to the Shutdown and Reboot.