1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR21 strange behavior

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Gary16, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Gary16

Gary16 Mentor

Oct 8, 2006
    Out of my 7 HD DVR's, this one HR21 has been acting strangely for several months. At first it started reacting extremely slowly to commands (for example taking 10 minutes to register a command). Then it would not playback or record properly. I diagnosed it by running all the internal tests and it passed them all with flying colors. I put it in another room just to make sure it wasn't somehow related to where it was hooked up but it's still the same.
    As an additional oddity, I had it hooked up to our whole home briefly and you could see its playlist ont he other DVR's. However when trying to play something it would come back with a message saying something about no packet was sent from the box.
    So I'm trying to see if there's any way to save it since my wife had a lot of recordings on it that she was hoping to save. Otherwise I'll just have to get it replaced.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Does this receiver have any Boolean searches ? If yes, try deleting those first and see if it speeds up.
    You could also clear the NVRAM to see if that helps.

How is the signal strength on this receiver compared to one that is working well ?

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    You say you tested it, did you do the onscreen tests or this one ?

Run the Built in Self-test to try and repair your hard drive.
    To run the hard drive tests, do the following.

Reboot DVR with the red button next to the smart card.
    When you see "Running receiver self-check" press Select

You should see a message "Entering Diagnostics Mode"
    Choose Advanced Tests Menu ,
    Hard Drive utilities ,
    Short Smart test

Next run the file test, the DVR will try to repair a bad file if present.

If you receive error messages from the above stop and post them back on
    here.

If the all tests pass, you can run the surface test. This test is long and
    could take several hours .
    You may want to run it overnight.
    Every attempt is made to save programming.

If you receive error messages post them back on here.

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Maybe also just try doing to reboots in a row within 30 minutes of each other so that you can clear all guide data first. May be that simple.

And the Boolean, if erasing them works, then let us know what they where and we can suggest how to rewrite them and not have the issue anymore.

5. Gary16

Gary16 Mentor

Oct 8, 2006
    Did all of this. Passed every test. Found no errors. I will try multiple reboots but not expecting much as I've done reboots in the past.

6. Gary16

Gary16 Mentor

Oct 8, 2006
    Update and correction. This is an HR22 box, not 21.
    After several reboots, here's the current situation.
    1. Now responding to commands less slowly (but still slow)
    2. If I just watch a channel in real time it's fine
    3. If I try to go back on a live show when it goes back into play it often just sits on a still frame for a long time or starts and stops. Same when advancing.
    4. I can play a selection from the record list but it will pixelate every few seconds and sometimes freeze.
    5. I deleted a bunch of recordings to see if that might help and the drive is now only half full but no change in performance.

I did the full surface test which it once again passed. I can't get it to find a single issue within itself. If I could dub off the key recordings to dvd I would just get the box replaced but since it won't play smoothly that doesn't seem to be an option. Any other suggestions?

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, that HR is shot and you should be looking at a replacement for it.

Rich

8. Gary16

Gary16 Mentor

Oct 8, 2006
    :mad:

9. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    IT may be currently passing all tests, but I'd bet that the HDD has a problem.....

10. Gary16

Gary16 Mentor

Oct 8, 2006
    Must be but it's passed every test every time over more than a months time

11. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you get them to replace it you will lose all recordings.
    If you want to try this, as a last resort, try resetting everything.
    Menu, Settings, Reset, Choose "Reset Everything" (This erases your recordings also ).
    Your receiver should then be back to how it was when it came out of the box. You would have to reset all of the settings on it the same as if you had it replaced.

12. Gary16

Gary16 Mentor

Oct 8, 2006
    If resetting will erase all the recordings then I would rather just get a replacement box so I have a better chance of it working correctly.

13. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    You mentioned multiple restarts, but did you do them within 30 minutes of each other as Inkahauts recommended? Also, try pulling the plug on it for over 30 minutes. Can't hurt to try!

14. Gary16

Gary16 Mentor

Oct 8, 2006
    Thanks. Worth a shot. I had it unplugged for a while a couple weeks ago but I will try again. Is the second restart within 30 minutes only after the first restart is fully complete?

15. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I usually do mine the minute live TV comes back up. But "they" say you can do it anytime within the 30 minutes.

16. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The second restart causes ALL of the Guide data to be flushed out and starts over FRESH.

17. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    If I suspected the HDD and wanted to keep my recordings, I just grab another drive of equal or larger size and copy the drive over...I retain all my recordings and see if it was just a drive problem. This only works on the same DVR though.

18. Gary16

Gary16 Mentor

Oct 8, 2006
    So it's possible that the recordings themselves are OK but the drive is failing even though it continues to pass every one of those tests perfectly?

19. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That packet loss is something that happened to me. I had a long run from one SWM16 to another SWM16 and ended up putting a Sonora amplifier on the lines (bought it from Solid Signal) and that solved the problem. It just happened to me again on one of my 24-100s. Only happened once, don't know why.

Flushing the Guide data (you should follow the instructions you were given by Mom and reboot once and then again as soon as the HR is done rebooting) would solve a good HR's problems in many instances. Not always. I'd still be looking at a replacement. The 21 Series is old and they were never very good to begin with.

Rich

20. Gary16

Gary16 Mentor

Oct 8, 2006
    Thanks. I had posted earlier that I mistakenly called this an HR21. It's in fact an HR22 if that's any better.