1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR21 with Dead Hard Drive

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tvslave, Aug 8, 2010.

1. tvslave

tvslave New Member

Jun 24, 2007
    I started getting the 774 error yesterday. I see this is a hardware issue. Now I can hear the hard drive trying to boot up repeatedly with no luck. Sooo, I bout the WD DVR Expander drive, connected it to the HR21 and let it boot up. It recognized it, bypassed the original drive and I was back in business. Relief...until I had to move the receiver back into place.

I had to cut the power. Now when my receiver boots up I get the 774 error again, even with the new WD HD expander in place. When i go into test screen and click on external it says there is no disk.

Why is the receiver not booting from external hard drive? It did the first time when it intialized it. Any help?

2. tvslave

tvslave New Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Okay figured it out. I had to let the external drive finish booting up before turning on receiver. This may be a good FYI for others with 744 hardware failures. If your internal hard drive is corrupt or dead, purchase a WD HD DVR Expander and ust bypass the internal drive. This way you don't void your warranty by opening the case ;)

3. tvslave

tvslave New Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Okay, interesting. despite adding new external hard drive getting the 744 error again. Happened out of nowhere. Even when I reboot with new hard drive I get the error ;( Thoughts?

4. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Check the cable between the unit and your external. Might just be loose.

5. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    Sounds more like a power surge issue given the following senario.

If the internal drive is toast, and your runing off an external hard drive, and the power happens to flucuate or go out..... When the IRD starts to boot back up if the extenal hard drive hasn't finished booting up you will surely get a message as it can't see it and is reverting back to the origional drive once again----which again you said was faulty.

My recommendation ois to get a replacement IRD; however if it's an owned uit, then you may wish to either replace the internal drive or simply get a ups to stop surges/outages from effecting it at all.....

6. tvslave

tvslave New Member

Jun 24, 2007
    ya, it's an owned unit so I'm on my own here. Maybe I'll just crack her open and swap out the internal drive. It might solve a world of problems ;( I'll post an update here when complete

7. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    If it's owned you may as well open her up and put in a nice 2tb drive.