1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR22-100 recordings choppy, but live TV ok

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by captswifty, Mar 25, 2011.

1. captswifty

captswifty Cool Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Starting sometime last week my HR22-100 started getting choppy and blocking when watching a recorded program or using the buffer on live TV. The problem looks similar to rain fade, but when watching the program live there is no issue. It only happens when I rewind live TV or record it and play it back, and it happens on both SWM tuners.

None of my other DVRs are experiencing this problem. I've tried RBR and the system test in the setup menu with no luck. Recordings before March 16th playback with no problems.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

System info:
    HR22-100
    0x457, Feb 17th
    SWM

Thank you!

2. Webini

Webini Legend

Feb 3, 2007
    Had an HR20 with the same issue a couple weeks back. After a huge runaround D* replaced the received. Problem solved.

Looked like a hard drive issue.

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    When the choppiness only occurs during recordings or playback of the Live Buffer, that is a good indication of a hard drive issue. Does the choppiness occur at the same point if you rewind and play back the recording again?

- Merg

4. captswifty

captswifty Cool Member

Sep 28, 2007
    It's hard to tell, but it looks like the problems do occur at the same point in the recording. I was also thinking it might be a hard drive issue. Does the DVR have a built in hard drive check that won't delete the good recordings I have on the disk?

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Yes, You'll need to reboot the receiver and hold down the record & down arrow [both] buttons on the front panel. This should bring up the menu to runs short & long tests.

6. Doom878

Doom878 AllStar

Sep 22, 2008
    I have the same issues with the same box. What was the result?

7. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    As was posted before this is almost always caused by a hard drive starting to go bad. You can run the hard drive test VOS mentions in his post, or just call DirecTV and try to get them to send a replacment.