1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR22-100 Upgrade options

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by stevepsd, Oct 10, 2013.

1. stevepsd

stevepsd New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    I have a HR22-100 that I would like to upgrade to a newer HD-DVR (not Genie). The whole system was installed years ago, dual coax to B-band convertors into the DVR.

What options are available that would not require a new dish? I do not want to get locked into another 1-2 years as I will be moving, but just cannot stand the slow, laggy behaviour of the HR22 compared to the newer DVR's.

Thanks.

2. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I'm pretty sure any upgrade starts a new 2 year contract period. You could purchase a new DVR yourself, but I am not sure if activating it starts a contract? Peds or one of our other resident experts will know the "for sure" answer on this.

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    There is no current path to upgrade from a same class receiver. meaning from HDDVR to HDDVR. "upgrading" to any receiver will create a 2 year commitment. The only thing you can do to avoid a 2 year contract, is to call DirecTV and have them replace the receiver. of course what you get is the luck of the draw.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Even going under a commitment won't affect a move, unless you know you won't be taking service with you. If they find you don't have LOS, they will terminate the contract with no penalty.

Your only real option is to buy an owned used HR24. Get the RID and confirm with the Access Card department that it is truly owned and clear.

5. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    There is no current path to upgrade from a same class receiver. meaning from HDDVR to HDDVR. "upgrading" to any receiver will create a 2 year commitment. The only thing you can do to avoid a 2 year contract, is to call DirecTV and have them replace the receiver. of course what you get is the luck of the draw.

So does that mean even if he buys one and goes through the access card dept it would start a new contract?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using DBSTalk mobile app

6. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    if by "buy" you actually mean "leased". yup, there is a two year commitment. Now if the OP actually gets an OWNED receiver, then there is no contract.

7. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    if by "buy" you actually mean "leased". yup, there is a two year commitment. Now if the OP actually gets an OWNED receiver, then there is no contract.

8. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY

9. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Wow, that glitch got you 3 times. I guess they fixed it, I've had no problems with it today. BTW, if that happens again, just back out of the forum and go back and the original post should be there. Found that out yesterday.

Rich

10. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Awesome, thanks. but FWIW, it seems fixed

11. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yeah, they fixed it, but each time I post...

Rich