1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR22 Resets itself

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by TheWarden, Nov 21, 2008.

1. TheWarden

TheWarden Mentor

Sep 9, 2003
    I have strange problem. Sometimes, my HR-22 resets itself when I turn on my TV. It doesn't happen all the time, and it doesn't seem to depend on whether the DVR is on or not when I turn on the TV.

This morning, for instance...the HR-22 is already on. I use the TV remote (the one that actually came with the TV, not the D* remote) and turn on the TV. The receiver reboots and goes through its whole reset process. This happened 3 times to my wife yesterday.

Anyone have any suggestions? I did my first red button reset after it rebooted this morning, but I can't be certain that eliminated the problem since it doesn't happen every time.

I'm using a SWM dish, with the SWM's power inserter between the HR-22 and the dish.

:(

2. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    It sounds like you have a power issue. I suggest that you put the HR22 on a UPS, since that solved a couple problems for me. At minimum, I would try to put the DVR on a seperate breaker to see if that resolves it.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Also, be sure that it's not overheating. Is it in an enclosed cabinet?

4. TheWarden

TheWarden Mentor

Sep 9, 2003
    The receiver is in the open, sitting on a shelf.

I didn't even think about it possibly being a power issue. Most of the electronics around the TV run on the same breaker. I'll give a UPS a try.

Thanks!

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'd be a little worried about that circuit. Sounds as if you might have an issue that a UPS will mask. Or you might have a problem with the power supply on the TV. Turning on the TV shouldn't cause the voltage to drop enough to cause an HR to reboot. If you put a toaster or a hair dryer on that circuit, I could see the HR rebooting, but not a properly functioning TV.

I had random reboots on my 20-700s and got a PM suggesting I should "snug up" all my connections. I had done that and thought I was OK in that regard, but I remembered that an installer had finally put a grounding block on my system and those connections were loose. I snugged them up and the reboots stopped.

Rich

6. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I agree, it could be masking another issue. I had a loose connection on a breaker in the breaker box. Everytime something on that circuit kicked on, my outdoor sodium light would go out. Tightened up the connections and it resolved the problem.

7. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Does it happen if you turn on the TV by pressing the button on it instead of using the remote? I wonder if there is some odd IR code the TV's remote is sending that is being interpreted by the HR22 as a "reboot" command.

8. TheWarden

TheWarden Mentor

Sep 9, 2003
    You guys rock.

I'll check out the connections in the D* system and see if anything's loose.

We're in a new house so I'm not 100% how the circuits are wired (not sure what else is on the living room's circuit). It shares a wall with the office so hopefully that's not all on one breaker.

I thought about the weird IR code to tell the receiver to reboot and planned on trying to turn on the TV manually (do TVs even have power buttons anymore? :)). But since it's so intermittent, I'm not sure if that will yield good results. Doesn't hurt to try.

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Try putting the remote in the RF mode. That will answer any IR questions. I don't know how old your house is, but I would recommend putting all your "toys'' on a separate circuit.

RACJ2 has posted about just the sort of problem I would suspect. Real PITA to find and you might want to run (if it is feasible to do) a new dedicated circuit. I realize how difficult this can be in an finished home, but (and this is a worst case scenario) you could start a fire if you have loose connections or have the ground and neutral wires reversed. Or the hot and neutral reversed. You can purchase a receptacle checker at Home Depot or Lowes. Looks like a male plug and does plug into the outlet and has LED lights to tell you if the wiring is correct.

Rich

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    And this is a perfect example of how to burn a house down. A loose electrical connection can get so hot you would not believe it. Glad you found your problem. Sound like his problem might be a little harder to find.

I was taught by electricians during my electrical apprenticeship the proper way to "snug up" an electrical connection. Let me pass their wisdom on: First you make the connection (assume screws), and gently tighten the screw up until it will not move. Go have a cup of coffee and a hard roll, BS for a while and then go back and try to get another quarter turn on the screw.

My first thought when they told me this was "Yeah, yeah, yeah." Then I started doing what they told me to do and was amazed at how much more you could turn the screw after waiting about an hour. Copper is a soft metal and "gives'' when you tighten a screw connector. This method also works at times when using wire nuts. That I found out myself.

Rich