1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR22 setup only offers Single Tuner

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by CountryBumKin, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Nov 8, 2008 #1 of 29
    CountryBumKin

CountryBumKin Mentor

Mar 20, 2007
    I was replacing a R15 with a HR22. I have the Slimline-5 with multiswitch Dish. I also have a HR21 working in another room.

When I was doing the setup on the HR22, the setup screen (where you select dish type and multiswitch or SWM) had "dual tuner" listed. This is not changeable - just listed. When I went through the setup initially I was not getting a signal to tuner 2. I tried a couple of times but I must have had a loose connection. At the end of the setup the "Dual Tuner" changed to "Single Tuner" and the setup completed. I have since fixed the cable and now have a good signal to both tuners however the setup will not let me change to "Dual Tuners".

Now when I record something, I can not change channels unless I cancel the recording. I tried Re-setting Everything (in menu and front panel), but I can not get the Dual Tuner feature to work.

The Info screen shows "Tuner 1: SAT - Record" and "Tuner 2: SAT"

Perhaps my HR22 went bad. Is there anything else I can do?

2. Nov 8, 2008 #2 of 29
    Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Are you sure you cannot change the dual/single tuner option in your guided setup? You should be able to scroll down to it and select from the drop down.

3. Nov 8, 2008 #3 of 29
    TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    Reset your receiver. It should automatically detect both tuners at startup. There is no way to change it in the setup menu.

4. Nov 8, 2008 #4 of 29
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Simply resetting no longer does the trick. You have to go back through satellite setup, select the proper type of dish and press continue. That is when it does the auto-detect routine to determine how many tuners are connected. After that, what is shown in the shaded field is what it found the last time it went through sat setup. If it doesn't find your second tuner, double check your wiring and run sat setup again.

5. Nov 8, 2008 #5 of 29
    TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    It's been a while since I've come across that problem, but that's seriously messed up that you have to re-do sat setup before it will auto detect the other tuner.

6. Nov 9, 2008 #6 of 29
    CountryBumKin

CountryBumKin Mentor

Mar 20, 2007
    I did the Reinstallation (SAT setup) several times already. Nothing changes. I still can't change to, or have it detect, dual tuners.

I think I'll try doing the set up again and selecting 3-LNB, then when that completes, going back and doing it agin but then select the correct 5 LNB. Perhaps it needs to see a change in something before it will try to redetect.

I thought there might be a secret installers menu or something like that I could use - that someone here knows about.

If the reinstalling and changing options doesn't work, I'll have DTV send me a new receiver.

Thanks for your suggestions/comments.

7. Nov 9, 2008 #7 of 29
    CountryBumKin

CountryBumKin Mentor

Mar 20, 2007
    No the option is greyed out. I can only select Dish type and Multiswitch/SWM

8. Nov 9, 2008 #8 of 29
    CountryBumKin

CountryBumKin Mentor

Mar 20, 2007
    The key to getting Tuner 2 recognized was to run the SAT setup again but selecting a different dish type.
    I selected 3-LNB and went through the whole setup process. Then I went back and selected Slimline-5 (the correct dish for me) and this time it changed to Dual Tuners. Apparently, just re-running the setup without changing any parameters doesn't do anything. You have to have something "to write over" to have the receiver do a complete reinstall.

9. Nov 9, 2008 #9 of 29
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Glad you got it going.

10. mayo*1

mayo*1 Mentor

Sep 7, 2007
    i have the exact problem, only one tuner recognized, the "dual" tuner option is in grey. i will try this fix..........
    thanks!

11. urnote96

urnote96 Legend

Jun 22, 2004
    Miscellaneous Notes: Single tuner vs. dual tuner – IV initial guided setup / dish setup screens
    have changed slightly. If the switch type is multiswitch, the tuner option is grayed out and the IRD
    will automatically detect if 1 or 2 sat feeds are connected. If switch type is SWM, the tuner option
    is available. This will allow installers and agents / customers to determine if they have enough
    SWM channels to use the IRD in single or dual tuner mode. For 1080p, the option is only
    available if HDMI is connected and the TV supports 1080p (24 frames per second).

12. clb4g9

clb4g9 Legend

Sep 23, 2007
    You are a lifesaver! I have a HR-21 and hooked up a second tuner today.....and I had the same problem as the original poster. I was going to reset the receiver back to the factory defaults because I couldn't figure out how to get the tuner switched to dual....and I tried just about everything, and then I remembered this thread existed somewhere. The OP's trick worked like a charm! It's a shame that there isn't a simpler fix, but I'll take it!

13. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Glad you got it sorted out.

I don't really understand what the problem was, or maybe I'm just dense. I have had an HR20-700 operating in single-tuner mode for over a year in a location where I could not run a second line. I recently added an SWM to my setup and simply removed the BBC, reconnected the cable and rebooted after the SWM was installed. Voila - instant two tuner perfection. :)

14. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    My guess is that when the HR2x initially detects the satellite configuration, if it does not see a signal on tuner #2, it deactivates it. If you later connect a feed to it, the setup routine has to be re-run so it can be activated. However, if you just re-run the setup and it detects the same configuration, it doesn’t do that; it assumes nothing has changed so it doesn’t go through whatever logic is necessary to reactivate the tuner. If you change to a different satellite configuration, like a SWM or other LNB, that does cause it to rerun the section of the software that will then see s signal on tuner # and activate it.

15. clb4g9

clb4g9 Legend

Sep 23, 2007
    That all makes sense; I'm just not sure how the average user would be able to figure that out...for that matter, i can't imagine a tech support person figuring that out either, unless they had you reset the receiver to the default, factory settings (which I was about to do, although I really wanted to find a solution that didn't consist of losing all my recordings and shows). I would think this "bug" would generate some unnecessary service calls.

16. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    This was fixed in the last update but there was a software limitation that would not allow it to change after it's initial setup.

17. habudab

habudab Legend

Nov 6, 2006
    just a quick question regarding this whole thing.. i currently have a 5 lnb dish with 2 lines going to one room in the house for my hd/dvr (hr20-700). i now want to add direct tv to a second room in the house with another HD/dvr receiver.. 1st off, which one should i buy??? So i need to run two more line from the dish to the new room with the new receiver.. (That will give me all 4 lines from the dish..) what will have to do to set up the new receiver so that it will all work properly.. in conclusion to wrap it all up.. i need to run two more lines from the dish to the new room and hook int into a new receiver (HD/DVR).. i first need to purchase the new receiver and then run the lines.. what all will i have to do to make sure it runs correctly.. thanks in advance....................

18. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Most likely, if you get a receiver from a retailer (BestBuy, Costco) it will be an HR22 and that would be your best bet (unless you happen to find an HR23, but they are likely not in stores yet. Anyhow, all you need to do is extend the two unused lines from your dish to the room where you want the new receiver. Just use RG6 cable. Some will say to look for solid core copper, 3GHz swept, quad shield, etc., but honestly, as long as it's RG6 you should be fine if you aren't running more than 100 feet. I would recommend using compression fittings instead of crimp as they are more reliable. If you are making any connections outside, you should use weatherproof connections (connectors with o-rings or grease seals). That's about it. Once you get the cable run, you connect the receiver, verify that it gets a signal, and call D* to activate it.

19. habudab

habudab Legend

Nov 6, 2006
    thanks....

20. habudab

habudab Legend

Nov 6, 2006
    How do i verify that it is getting a signal....